MRL said the ECRL project engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning (EPCC) contractor, China Communications Construction Company Ltd (CCCC) was merely securing all existing ECRL construction sites to minimise any damage and/or deterioration to the site during the suspension period, as provided by the contract.
In a statement, MRL said it had received the instruction from the Finance Minister on July 3, 2018 to issue a suspension order of all construction works and services stipulated in the EPCC contract for the RM81bil project.
It said the suspension order had been issued to CCCC and China Communications Construction Company (M) Sdn Bhd (CCCCM) on the same day.
“Securing the site also means ensuring all safety and environmental requirements imposed by relevant authorities were observed and complied with at all times including over the period of works suspension.
As of July 8, 2018, CCCC was still carrying out some site securement works to comply with MRL’s instruction,” it said.
It said CCCC or its sub-contractors’ workers will be present on site to carry out the works until MRL is satisfied that all sites have been secured.
Once the site is properly secured, no other works will proceed until further notice from MRL.
“News reports in a Chinese and English language daily on July 7 and 8, 2018 respectively have appeared to suggest that construction work is continuing and the project is progressing despite the suspension order being issued.
“These reports by the two news outlets are inaccurate and misleading,” it said.
Did you find this article insightful?