KUALA LUMPUR: E-commerce platform Shopee launched its Cahaya Raya Campaign on Thursday, offering prizes worth more than RM1.5mil which include a dream home and cars.
Shopee, which is the leading in Southeast Asia and Taiwan, said the prizes were a RM350,000 dream house, a Honda HRV worth RM100,000 and a Volkswagen Polo worth RM80,000 for the lucky winners for the Ketupat Raya in-app game. The game is a collaboration with Visa.
The campaign, which started on Thursday and ends on June 17, will have exclusive deals on more than 100,000 products with up to 90% discounts.
Shopee partnered with leading brands including Nestle, XES Shoes, honor Malaysia, Maybelline, Watsons, ASUS, Petpet, Universal Traveller, Russell Taylors, Dettol to provide a series of attractive deals.
Shopee also conducted a pre-Raya survey from April 2 to 9 to gain a better insight of Malaysians’ shopping habits leading up to the Raya period. Up to 140,000 respondents from all over Malaysia took part in the survey.
Shopee’s regional managing director Ian Ho said the campaign was launched in response to the insights derived from the survey.
“Also, as Hari Raya is all about celebrating at home with family and loved ones, we decided to add some cheer by giving away a ‘Rumah Impian’ (dream house) and two cars as part of this campaign,” Ho said.
Visa country manager for Malaysia Ng Kong Boon said with technology becoming an integral part of Malaysians’ lifestyles, they have shifted their shopping behaviour from offline to online.
“Based on VisaNet data, eCommerce spend by consumers is growing more than twice of face-to-face transactions. During this festive season, we believe in creating the best partnerships, such as Shopee, to provide benefits that are relevant for Malaysians and are committed to promoting the growth of electronic payments in Malaysia,” said Ng.
According to the results of the survey:
* 85% of the respondents are below the age of 35, proving that the adopters of e-commerce are generally young;
* The highest number of respondents are recorded from Selangor, making up more than 20% of the total number of respondents;
* East Malaysians comprise 20% of the respondents as they find online shopping more convenient and gives them access to a wider assortment of products;
* 80% of respondents start making preparations for Raya from a month before Ramadan;
* Around 90% of respondents regularly shop online, at least once a month;
* 95% of respondents cited price and promotions as the main reason that they prefer to shop online;
* Additional pull factors that draw users to shop online include convenience, product variations and other incentives such as free shipping and zero commissions as well as platforms that offer secure payment methods - all of which are available on Shopee;
* Interestingly, the top five categories purchased by female respondents during this pre-Raya period include men’s clothing (which ranks the highest, even above women’s clothing and women’s bags & purses), and men’s shoes;
* On the other hand, top five categories purchased by male respondents are men’s clothing, accessories, men’s shoes, men’s bags & wallets and Muslim fashion;
* More than 40% of respondents spend more than RM200 per person buying products in preparation for Hari Raya.
Did you find this article insightful?