Lay Hong to set up plant in Kapar, expand food range

From left are: Yap Chor Wen, Yap Chor How, Ryuichi Nitta and Hideki Fuji with the five variants of frozen processed chicken products.

KUALA LUMPUR: Integrated poultry company Lay Hong Bhd plans to set up a plant in Kapar, Selangor as it seeks to expand its range of food items produced by its subsidiary NHF Manufacturing (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd (NHFM).

Lay Hong executive director Yap Chor How said on Tuesday the company hoped to have the plant operating by 2018 as it targets the export markets of Singapore, Japan and the Middle East for its halal products.

As for now, Lay Hong's products are made in its plant in Bagan Tengkorak, Tanjong Karang, Selangor. 

On Tuesday, its 49% owned NHFM launched five variants of frozen processed chicken products  as it seeks to become an integrated food producer player. Japan NH Foods Ltd (NH Foods) owns the remaining 51%.

The products, priced between RM10 and RM13, consist of Chicken Karaage (boneless diced thigh meat), Chiki-Chiki Bone (cut middle wing), Amakaraage (boneless whole thigh meat), Tebamoto Amakaraage (chicken drumette) and Chicken Menchi Katsu (boneless chicken meat and vegetable). 

These products are available in hypermarkets such as Aeon, Jaya Grocer and Village Grocer. All the products are HACCP certified by Department of Veterinary Service of Malaysia and Halal certified by Jakim.

 “As all the products offered by NHFM is halal certified, our next plan is to export our products to Singapore, Japan and the Middle East , by leveraging on our strong partner – NH Foods’ network and expertise.

“We intend to extend the products’ distribution channels to petrol stations, supermarkets and hypermarkets as well as other convenient stores. Soon, our customers will be able to find Nippon premium Nutriplus products in many places, beyond the conventional stores. 

“We believe in offering a range of choices to our customers, and clearly there is a ready category momentum, which we need to tap into,” he said, adding the product line would include frozen fried chicken, hamburger, meat balla, fuwatama omelette and dim sum in the near future.

NH Foods Ltd executive officer Hideki Fujii said the Nutriplus brand name would help expand the market reach of Nippon's Nutriplus products. 

He added the company's track record and expertise in the processed foods would enable the brand to benefit from evolving trends in the food industry. 

Among those present at the launch were Yap Chor Wen, director of NHF Manufacturing (Malaysia) and Ryuichi Nitta, chief executive officer of NHF Manufacturing (Malaysia).

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


Next In Business News

Tesla FOMO fires up Wall Street’s $300b custom-index boom
At-home shoppers drive record online sales
BoE's Haldane sees inflation risks as economies bounce back
Windfall tax on glove makers will send wrong signal to investors: Zafrul
Facebook’s AI mistakenly bans ads for struggling businesses
CPO futures to trade in yo-yo mode next week
More than just painting the town red
Jobs in the new normal
GLOBAL LNG-Asian spot prices rise on oil surge and heating demand
Airbus re-sells six unwanted jets built for AirAsia

Stories You'll Enjoy