EPF to take up 80% stake in MRCB subsidiary for RM421m


KUALA LUMPUR: The Employees Provident Fund (EPF) Board is taking up an 80% stake in Malaysian Resources Corporation Bhd's (MRCB) subsidiary which will receive 28.13 acres of land in Kuala Lumpur in exchange for upgrading and privatising the National Sports Complex (NSC) in Bukit Jalil.

MRCB said on Monday its 85% owned Rukun Juang Sdn Bhd would receive the land in exchange under the privatisation agreement with the Youth and Sports Ministry and Syarikat Tanah dan Harta Sdn Bhd

MRCB would then subscribe for a 20% in the company which will be directed by Rukun Juang to hold the exchange land. The other 80% would be taken up by the EPF for RM421.52mil.

It said the piece of land would have a leasehold period of 99 years and subject to the category of “building”. The approved plot ratio for the development of the Exchange Land 1 shall be no less than 1:6.5; 

“Prior to the signing of the agreements, MRCB shall provide EPF with a full market study report and a business plan, including a timeline for the development of the Exchange Land 1 and the agreements shall be subject to EPF being satisfied with the results of their due diligence,” it said.

To recap, MRCB announced on Feb 5 that Rukun Juang Sdn Bhd has fulfilled the conditions precedent under the RM1.63bil Kuala Lumpur Sports City deal signed in October last year.

The Youth and Sports Ministry had given Rukun Juang two deadline extensions to meet the conditions precedent, with the latest deadline coming up on Wednesday next week. After giving the second extension, the ministry inked a supplemental agreement with MRCB and Syarikat Tanah dan Harta Sdn Bhd modifying certain deliverables.

“The privatisation agreement has become unconditional on Feb 4,” the company said.

Under the agreement, Rukun Juang will upgrade the NSC in Bukit Jalil and turn the area into a sports hub, festuring, among others, a sports-focused retail mall, a convention centre, a sports museum and youth hostel.

The government will pay the company in both cash and kind - with three parcels of leasehold land nearby spanning 37.4ha as well as RM31.88mil in cash. 

Article type: metered
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Business News

Nasdaq futures slump 2% as rising yields spark tech rout Premium
UK employers add record number of jobs, unemployment falls Premium
Starbucks ties up with Meituan to bolster presence in crucial China market Premium
Australian shares slip as healthcare, banking stocks drag Premium
China has plenty policy tools in reserve to cope with slowing economy - state planner Premium
BOJ raises inflation forecasts, maintains ultra-easy policy Premium
US yields up along the curve as traders brace for hawkish Fed Premium
Oil rises to more than 7-year high on Mideast tensions Premium
China Merchants Bank-backed SPAC files first application under new Hong Kong rules Premium
Asia shares tick higher as spotlight stays on Fed Premium

Others Also Read


Vouchers