Malaysia must tap oil palm biomass potential


KUALA LUMPUR: MALAYSIA needs to tap the full potential of oil palm biomass such as empty fruit bunches, palm fibre, palm kernel shells and palm oil mill effluent which can be developed into high-income generating renewable resource products for export, said Plantation Industries and Commodities secretary-general Datuk Wira Ismail Salleh.

Of the total output from the oil palm tree, about 10% is palm oil while the remaining 90% is in the form of oil palm biomass which has yet to be exploited.

Last year, the local oil palm sector generated an estimated 80 million tonnes of biomass, Wira said at the opening of the two-day Second International Conference on Oil Palm Biomass today.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Business News

MyEG posts RM75.5mil net profit in Q4
ANALYSIS: Top Glove bets on pandemic boom to propel ambitious US$1.9bil HK listing
Datasonic eyes Vietnam e-passport opportunity�
Yinson's unit bags RM1.5bil solar project in India�
Deloitte to pay RM324mil in settlement over 1MDB and SRC�
BIMB Investment launches Makmur myWakaf Fund
KLCI extends gains, closes 18 points higher
MISC’s ethane carrier Seri Everest delivers cargo in China
GlobalFoundries pours US$1.4b into fab expansion
Oil rises as U.S. vaccine progress raises demand expectations

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers