Malaysian firm-led group gets RM2.3bil Zimbabwe water project


  • Business
  • Thursday, 29 Jul 2004

By DAVID TAN in Langkawi

THE Zimbabwean Government has awarded a US$600mil (RM2.3bil) water supply project to a joint-venture company formed by a Malaysian firm and the Matabeleland Zambeki Water Authority.  

According to Science, Technology and Innovation Minister Datuk Dr Jamaludin Mohd Jarjis, the Malaysian partner has an 80% stake in the joint venture, with the Matabeleland Zambeki Water Authority holding the remaining 20%.  

“The full details of the deal will be announced at a signing ceremony on Saturday which will be witnessed by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi and President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe,” he said ahead of the opening today of the latest Langkawi International Dialogue.  

Jamaludin said the deal underscored Malaysia’s success in making use of the Langkawi International Dialogue series to seize business opportunities overseas.  

“This dialogue has matured into a platform that enables Malaysia to take part in new and emerging businesses in the African continent. 

“Malaysian corporate giants which have achieved success domestically must take up the challenge of becoming global players. They must make use of the dialogue to form networks with the private business sector in African nations,” he added.  

Jamaludin said Malaysia must also capitalise on the business match-making prospects offered by Swaziland.  

“Swaziland's King Mswati III has offered Malaysian entrepreneurs the opportunity to venture into the agriculture and technological sectors,” he added 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Business News

Tesla stops taking bitcoin payments for vehicles over climate concerns
Vegetable Oils surge, Soy futures reach highest since 2012
Jobs, inflation data surprises not changing Fed plans
Oil price rises to 8-wk high on demand hopes, U.S. export decline
GLOBAL MARKETS-Wall Street skids on inflation fears; USD, bond yields jump
Capitalising on loan growth
Teo Seng invests in new equipment
OCK to continue expanding its green energy segment
ST Engineering, Temasek in aircraft leasing JV
TikTok begins testing in-app shopping

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers