Tesco to open 6th outlet in Penang next year


  • Business
  • Wednesday, 17 Dec 2003

BY ANTHONY TAN IN SUNGAI PETANI

TESCO Stores (M) Sdn Bhd will open its sixth outlet in the country in Penang at the end of next year, chief executive officer Simon Turner said. 

He said the outlet would be located near the Jelutong Expressway on the island. 

Turner said the company, which currently operated five stores in Malaysia, planned to open a total of 15 stores in the country. 

The company would open an outlet in Ipoh after Penang, he said, adding that Tesco aimed to have an outlet in every large town in the Peninsula Malaysia. 

Simon Turner

“We have no plans to open outlets in east Malaysia at this stage,” Turner said after the official opening of Tesco's fifth outlet in Sungai Petani by Kedah Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Syed Razak Syed Zain on Monday. 

The 5,000 sq m outlet, which opened to the public on Dec 8, is the first Tesco in the northern region. It carries 40,000 product lines, including more than 600 Tesco branded items, and house 25 retailers such as Pos Malaysia, Kentucky Fried Chicken, MPH Bookstore, England Optical and Bata. 

Facilities offered include a food court, free parking lots for 338 cars and 252 motorcycles, free drinking water, surau and automated teller machines. 

Other Tesco stores in Malaysia are located in Puchong, Malacca, Bukit Tinggi in Klang and Mutiara Damansara. 

Turner said Tesco's five stores now employed about 2,000 workers, adding that a total of 10,000 job opportunities would be created when all the 15 outlets were opened.  

Tesco Stores was established in November 2001 with Tesco Ltd holding 70% equity and Sime Darby Bhd the remaining 30%. Sime Darby has the option to increase its stake to 49% by 2007. 

Tesco Ltd is Britain's leading retailer with over 2,290 stores in 10 countries including Thailand, South Korea and Taiwan. It employs more than 296,000 staff worldwide. 

 Stock Watch On SIME

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site