DRB-HICOM unit to supply parts to GM


By Hong Boon How in Pattaya

HICOM Automotive Plastics (Thailand) Ltd, a unit in the DRB-Hicom Bhd group, expects to become a major supplier of plastic automotive components to General Motors (GM) Corp's assembly plants around the world.  

Hicom Teck See Manufacturing Malaysia Sdn Bhd chief executive officer Khairudin Datuk Yusoff said Hicom Automotive Plastics had received inquires to supply automotive components from several General Motors assembly plants. 

Hicom Automotive Plastics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hicom Teck See Manufacturing, a company which DRB-Hicom has 51% stake, and Teck See Plastics the remaining 49%.  

“We can supply our products to any of the American automobile giant's global manufacturing and assembly plants as we are a certified vendor of General Motors ,” he told Malaysian journalists during a General Motors Chevrolet Optra Media Ride and Drive tour in Pattaya yesterday.  

The company has received an inquiry to supply components to General Motors' vehicle plant in India.  

Hicom Automotive Plastics has a manufacturing plant in Pattaya's Rayong Industrial Estate that makes plastic bumpers, radiator grilles, trunk lid handles and fuel filler doors for General Motors' Chevrolet Optra sedans.  

Hicom Automotive Plastics is also looking at supplying other types of automobile components to General Motors. 

The Optra sedans are manufactured and assembled in General Motors' regional vehicle plant in Rayong.  

The Hicom Automotive Plastics plant was built at a cost of RM30mil and is located on a 22,383-sq m site.  

It has two large injection moulding machines, a 3,000-tonne unit and a 550-tonne unit, which have the capacity to produce 7,000 sets of bumpers a month.  

The plant is currently running at 50% capacity and will gradually be pushed to full capacity.  

Khairudin also said the plant's injection moulding machines could produce large plastic components for any vehicle in the automobile industry.  

The plant is also the first in Thailand to have a robotic spray painting facility.  

Khairudin said Hicom Automotive Plastics had also received inquires to supply plastic automotive components from other large automobile manufacturers in Rayong.  

“For the time being, we are studying the proposals but our priority will be General Motors,” he said.  

According to Hicom Automotive Plastics general manager Sadashiva Baligar, the plant will soon install a facility to manufacture chrome plastic components. 

“We are also be looking into the possibility of producing plastic instrument panels for General Motors,” he said.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Business News

Affin Bank weighs IPO of asset management unit
AWC-Techkem JV bags RM21mil sub-contract for treatment plant in Melaka
Proton car sales up 18% in November
Sources: China’s Ant considers Paytm stake sale amid tensions with India
Bursa presses pause button after sharp rebound
Hong Kong shares close lower on tech, healthcare retreat
Grab, Gojek close in on terms for merger
Future of finance is in wealth management, retail trading
China shares end flat as healthcare losses offset gains in property stocks
Biden will not immediately remove Phase 1 trade deal with China

Stories You'll Enjoy