PHNOM PENH: Authorities in Phnom Penh raided three properties linked to suspected online scam operations on Friday (May 22), detaining 26 Chinese nationals in what officials described as part of Cambodia’s intensifying crackdown on cyber fraud networks.
The coordinated operation targeted locations in Chbar Ampov and Sen Sok districts, following orders from Phnom Penh Governor Khuong Sreng and senior national police and military police officials, according to The Secretariat of the Commission for Combating Online Scams (CCOS).
The CCOS stated that the raids were conducted with the participation of local authorities and under the legal supervision of prosecutors from the Phnom Penh Municipal Court.
At the first site in Prek Eng commune, Chbar Ampov district, authorities detained four Chinese nationals, including three who allegedly lacked passports or legal travel documents.
Police also confiscated 19 mobile phones, a desktop PC and a laptop, believed to be connected to suspected online scam activities.
A second raid at a residence inside Borey Vimean Tropica in Khmuonh commune, Sen Sok district, resulted in the arrest of 10 Chinese nationals, including one woman.
Seven of them were allegedly undocumented. Authorities accused the group of illegally gathering and residing at the property.
The third operation took place at a house in Borey Peng Huoth in Veal Sbov commune, Chbar Ampov district, where authorities detained 12 additional Chinese nationals. Officials said all were found without passports.
“All 26 suspects and the seized equipment were transferred to the Phnom Penh Municipal Police Commissariat for legal action,” said CCOS.
The noted that the raids came on the same day that Prime Minister Hun Manet reiterated orders for authorities nationwide to continue dismantling online scam networks, describing cyber fraud as a threat to both social security and Cambodia’s international reputation.
During a cabinet meeting on Friday, Hun Manet instructed local authorities and the National Police to intensify suppression campaigns, “until they are completely eliminated,” according to a government statement.
Cambodia has stepped up anti-scam operations over the past year amid growing international scrutiny over cybercrime syndicates operating in the region.
Authorities previously announced raids on hundreds of suspected scam compounds and the closure of dozens of casinos allegedly linked to online fraud activities.
The government has increasingly framed the campaign as essential to protecting Cambodia’s investment climate and national image.
Manet has acknowledged that scam centres were damaging tourism, investor confidence and the country’s reputation abroad.
Phnom Penh authorities established a dedicated anti-scam task force in 2025 following a nationwide order from the prime minister to intensify enforcement against cyber fraud networks. - The Phnom Penh Post/ANN
