The Philippines bans pork imports from Spain amid African Swine Fever outbreak


MANILA (Xinhua): The Philippines has imposed a temporary ban on all pig and pork imports from Spain following a confirmed African Swine Fever (ASF) outbreak in the European country, the country's Department of Agriculture has said

Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel said the import freeze, which covers live pigs, pork meat, skin, and semen used for artificial insemination, will not tighten supply or trigger a price spike during the Christmas season.

"Cold storage is full," Tiu Laurel told reporters, stressing that inventories remain more than sufficient to meet the expected surge in holiday demand.

The agency issued the ban after Spain's veterinary authorities reported to the World Organization for Animal Health on Nov. 28 that ASF cases had been detected among wild pigs in Sabadell, Valles Occidental in Barcelona.

Tiu Laurel said the moratorium is necessary to prevent the entry of the ASF virus and protect both domestic and wild pig populations.

All sanitary and phytosanitary permits for hog shipments from Spain have been automatically revoked to safeguard food security and public health, he added.

Under the directive, only frozen pork products produced on or before Nov. 11 and loaded, in transit, or accepted at port on or before Dec. 4 may enter the Philippines. Shipments produced after Nov. 11 will be returned to Spain. - Xinhua

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Mayon Volcano logs 29 earthquakes, other seismic activity in 24 hours
Thailand tightens Ebola checks for Congo and Uganda arrivals
Eight dead, dozens trapped in China coal mine blast
Singapore Grab extends 90-cent fuel surcharge, higher GrabCab metered fares till July 31
China to crack down on 'illegal' cross-border securities
‘Tank Day’ marketing brews bitter response
Lynch mob clash over rape suspect
Briton scales Everest for record 20th time
Villager’s madcap 10-storey home demolished
Rescue efforts intensify as rains lash southern provinces

Others Also Read