Seoul declares end to 20-month medical crisis after doctors end walkout


Doctors protested against government plans to increase medical school admissions and healthcare reform in June 2024. - Photo: Reuters

SEOUL:  South Korea will lift its top-level public health emergency alert, declared at the height of the nationwide doctors’ strike in 2024, officially declaring an end to the medical crisis that has persisted for nearly 20 months.

Health Minister Jeong Eun-kyeong announced on Friday (Oct 17) that the government will deactivate the “serious” level of the health and medical crisis alert at midnight on Sunday (Oct 19).

The alert, the highest level of the nation’s four-tier health emergency system, was first issued on Feb 23, 2024, after thousands of medical residents collectively resigned in protest against the government’s plan to expand medical school admissions.

It marked the first time in South Korean history that a “serious” alert was declared in the healthcare sector.

Under the “serious” designation, the government activated the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters, mobilised public hospitals to extend operating hours, hired temporary personnel and raised treatment fees for emergency and critical patients to keep essential services running.

Jeong said the system would now be lifted as the medical situation “has been stabilised” following the return of most medical residents earlier in 2025.

“The health system has largely recovered to 95 per cent of normal operation levels,” she said during a meeting of the disaster headquarters at the Government Complex Seoul.

“Emergency and critical care capacity has also nearly returned to pre-crisis levels.”

With the emergency alert lifted, temporary financial measures introduced during the crisis – including special reimbursement rates for emergency care – will be phased out. 

At the same time, some effective initiatives will be made permanent, such as the use of clinical support nurses, telemedicine and hospitalist programmes for inpatient care.

Jeong also expressed apologies to patients and families affected by disruptions in medical services during the stand-off, and extended gratitude to front-line medical staff and emergency responders.

“For the past 20 months, patients have endured great inconvenience,” she said.

“I deeply thank the healthcare workers and 119 rescue teams who continued to protect lives under difficult conditions.” - The Korea Herald/ANN

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

S$72mil embezzlement case: Singapore tycoon who evaded arrest for nearly 20 years faces 38 more charges
Myanmar military claims recapture of Thai border town
‘They wanted a car’: Family alleges dowry harassment after newlywed woman’s death in India
Bank Indonesia hikes key interest rate by 50 bps to stabilise rupiah
Philippine palace releases video of dela Rosa, Padilla leaving Senate premises
Laos seeks to strengthen climate resilience, disaster preparedness
Brunei announces completion of pipe works and installation of new traffic lights
Retail fuel prices in Cambodia rise again amid ongoing Middle East tensions
Japan to sell eels bred in captivity in 'world first'
Probe launched after knife slips through S.Korea's Incheon airport security

Others Also Read