Cambodia sees 25% rise in Chinese tourist arrivals to Unesco-listed Angkor in first half of 2025


Almost 568,000 foreigners from 171 countries and regions toured the ancient park in the first half of this year, generating a gross revenue of US$26.3 million from ticket sales. - Allphoto Bangkok/Unsplash

PHNOM PENH: Cambodia has seen a remarkable increase in the number of Chinese tourists to its iconic Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of 2025, an official report said on Thursday (July 3).

A total of 47,571 Chinese tourists visited the Unesco-listed world heritage site during the January-June period, up 25 per cent over the same period last year, said the state-owned Angkor Enterprise's report.

China remained the fourth biggest source of international tourist arrivals to Angkor after the United States, the United Kingdom and France, it added.

According to the report, a total of 567,673 foreigners from 171 countries and regions toured the ancient park in the first half of this year, generating a gross revenue of US$26.3 million from ticket sales.

Thong Mengdavid, a lecturer at the Institute for International Studies and Public Policy of the Royal University of Phnom Penh, said that with 2025 being designated as the Cambodia-China Tourism Year, a significant surge in Chinese tourist arrivals to the Angkor Archaeological Park is predicted.

"This increase will likely be driven by enhanced bilateral cooperation, promotional campaigns and greater accessibility through direct flights and group tour packages," he told Xinhua.

Located in the northwest Siem Reap province, the 401-square-km Angkor Archaeological Park, the kingdom's most popular tourist destination, is home to 91 ancient temples, built from the ninth to the 13th centuries. - Xinhua

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Cambodia , China , Angkor , tourists

Next In Aseanplus News

Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing
Philippine senator calls out China in visit to disputed island
Washington offers US$200 million to boost the American smartphone industry in Indo-Pacific
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha
Chinese scientists put quantum chaos in ‘slow motion’
Trump to remove Vietnam from restricted tech list, says Hanoi
Myanmar issues complete ban on e-cigarettes and e-shisha
India, Brazil sign mining pact as Modi targets $20 billion trade in five years
Muslims preserve Ramadan traditions and religious bonding all over South-East Asia, and even in Myanmar to Cambodia
US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists

Others Also Read