'I have hope': Vietnam Babylift survivor searches for birth mother


Odile Dussart showing her Vietnamese nationality certificate at her newly rented home in Hoi An. - AFP

HOI AN: Airlifted from Saigon as an 11-month-old baby, Odile Dussart is now back living in the land of her birth hoping to find her biological mother.

Dussart was one of more than 3,000 children that were part of Operation Babylift. Removed by the United States at the end of the Vietnam War, they were eventually adopted by families across North America, Europe and Australia.

The stories of the evacuees and others involved illustrate the way the conflict still resonates 50 years later.

The very first flight of the controversial mass evacuation -- with Dussart among 314 people on board -- crashed minutes after take-off from Saigon.

One of the 176 survivors, she was adopted by a couple in France. Now 51, she has returned to seek her Vietnamese family.

"I just want to know if my biological mother is alive or dead... I want to know her story," she told AFP at her newly rented home overlooking the rice fields of Hoi An, where the ancient city's centre is listed by Unesco.

"Maybe it's impossible to find her. But I have hope."

The communists of North Vietnam defeated the US-backed South on April 30, 1975, and on Wednesday a grand celebration in Ho Chi Minh City -- formerly Saigon -- will mark 50 years since its capture.

The children of Operation Babylift were part of a mass exodus from South Vietnam in the run-up to its fall. Some were babies of US soldiers, others taken from orphanages and hospitals.

The operation, authorised by then-US president Gerald Ford, prompted questions about whether the children were all really orphans or if they had been separated from their families or given up in a desperate bid to get them out of the war-torn country.

The very first flight on April 4, 1975, was a catastrophe.

After its rear access door blew off and fell into the South China Sea, the C5-A Galaxy plane crash-landed, with 78 children among the 138 dead.

"I remember seeing the sky, the clouds and bodies being tossed around and sucked out the rear entrance," said US Air Force medical technician Phillip Wise, who later lost consciousness.

Air Force medical technician Phillip Wise flew on the first Operation Babylift flight which crash landed on April 4, 1975. - AFP
Air Force medical technician Phillip Wise flew on the first Operation Babylift flight which crash landed on April 4, 1975. - AFP

"I did not want folks to know that I was affiliated with that mission" for almost a decade, he added on a visit to Ho Chi Minh City this month to mark the disaster's 50th anniversary.

Dussart -- whose Vietnamese name is Bui Thi Thanh Khiet -- was treated for her injuries in Saigon, then sent to San Francisco, and finally put on a flight to France.

"I had bruises on my back, neck, and head. At 11 months, I was only the size of a six-month-old baby," she said.

But Dussart does not identify as a victim: she describes the crash as a "non-event" in her life.

"No vision, no sound, no smell," she said.

"People who died in the crash, military who had PTSD, families who lost (loved ones)... and parents who expected to have babies in their arms but had only dead bodies... they are the victims, not me."

James Ross Tung Dudas was three years old when he was airlifted from Saigon on Operation Babylift's second flight, and has been searching for 10 years for his birth family on intermittent trips from the United States.

He travelled to Vung Tau, close to Ho Chi Minh City, this month to find more information about a woman he believes could be his mother, and is awaiting the results of a DNA test.

"It would be nice to get to know who they are, where exactly I came from," said 53-year-old Dudas, who was born Hoang Thanh Tung.

"I am mostly American. But my heart still says I am Vietnamese," he added by phone from New Jersey, where he grew up.

Both evacuees grew up in predominantly white communities.

"All my life in France... French people considered me Asian, not French, because of my face," Dussart said.

"I am French in mentality. But I think my soul and my behaviour is Vietnamese," she added, proudly showing off the Vietnamese nationality certificate she obtained last year.

Dudas works in the garment industry and Dussart was a lawyer in the town of Saint Raphael on the French Riviera before starting over in Vietnam.

"I am thankful for life," said Dussart. "And thankful to the pilot and military who risked their lives to save mine." - AFP

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Vietnam , Babylift , war , search , mother , Dussart

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (Feb 21, 2026)
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing

Others Also Read