Kim unveils new nuclear-­capable warship


Expanding arsenal: Kim and his daughter, Kim Ju-ae, standing at the tip of the new naval destroyer during an unveiling ceremony at a western port in Nampo. — AP

Kim Jong-un has unveiled a new naval destroyer, claiming it as a significant advancement toward his goal of expanding the operational range and pre-emptive strike capabilities of his nuclear-armed military, state media said.

North Korea’s state-run Korean Central News Agency said the supreme leader attended the launching ceremony for the 5,000-tonne warship on Friday at the wes­tern port of Nampo.

Kim framed the arms buildup as a response to perceived threats from the United States and its allies in Asia, who have been expanding joint military exerci­ses amid rising tensions over the North’s nuclear programme.

He added that the acquisition of a nuclear-powered submarine would be his next big step in strengthening his navy.

The new “multipurpose” destroyer, touted by state media as the first in a new class of hea­vily armed warships, is designed to handle various weapons systems, including anti-air and anti-naval weapons, as well as nuclear-­capable ballistic and cruise missiles, Kim said.

Kim criticised recent efforts by the United States and South Korea to expand joint military exercises and update their nuclear deterrence strategies, portraying them as preparations for war.

He vowed to “respond decisively to this geopolitical crisis and ­ongoing developments,” according to his speech carried by KCNA yesterday.

North Korea’s unveiling of the new warship follows its March revealing of a purported nuclear-­powered submarine under construction.

However, some experts question whether the impoverished and largely isolated nation could develop such advanced capabilities without foreign assistance.

Since then, North Korea has conducted a series of tests aimed at acquiring these capabilities.

Regional tensions have increased as Kim continues to flaunt his military nuclear capabilities and align with Russia over President Vladimir Putin’s war on Ukraine.

US President Donald Trump has said he would reach out to Kim again to revive diplomacy, but the North has not responded to that offer.

While the two leaders met three times during Trump’s first term, negotiations broke down over disagreements on easing US-led sanctions in exchange for steps toward the North’s denuclearisation.

Kim’s foreign policy focus has since shifted to Russia, which he has supplied with weapons and military personnel to support its warfighting in Ukraine. — AP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Anwar hosts reception for Singapore PM Wong, discusses efforts to strengthen ties
US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's sweeping tariffs
Analysis-Britain's royals face their worst crisis in 90 years over Andrew's Epstein links
US judge upholds $243 million verdict against Tesla over fatal Autopilot crash
Thai police go undercover as lion dancers to nab a serial burglar
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Friday (Feb 20, 2024)
Chinese scientists develop AI model to push deep-space exploration
Peru’s President Jose Jeri ousted after ‘Chifagate’ scandal tied to Chinese contractor
Singapore to ease measures against Nipah virus outbreak as condition stabilise
Indonesia agrees to eliminate tariffs on over 99% of US goods, says US trade representative

Others Also Read