Curtain to close on Hong Kong’s Newport Theatre on April 1 after 20 years


Newport Theatre in Hong Kong’s busy Mong Kok area will close its doors on April 1 after serving film-goers for 20 years, amid a wave of cinema shutdowns in the city.

In a social media post on Monday, Newport Circuit confirmed that the theatre’s last day of operation would be March 31.

The closure comes after Newport Circuit’s President Theatre in Causeway Bay shut down last year.

Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team.

“Given the changes in the market environment and operational adjustments, we have no choice but to make this decision,” the company said in the Facebook post.

It also expressed gratitude for its customers’ years of support and said the theatre on Soy Street would continue screening films until its final day.

“Thank you once again to all our audience for your support and love over the past many years. The cherished moments at Newport Theatre will forever remain in our memories,” the company added.

The Newport Theatre has been serving film-goers for 20 years. Photo: Handout

Founded in 1988, Newport Circuit initially aimed to rival the city’s three major cinema chains.

The chain used to operate five cinemas at its peak: Dynasty Theatre in Mong Kok, President Theatre in Causeway Bay, Lux Theatre in Hung Hom, Hyland Theatre in Tuen Mun and Newport Theatre in Mong Kok.

However, its network has shrunk over the years.

Following the closure of Newport Theatre, which features two screens with 403 seats in total, Hyland Theatre in Tuen Mun will become the chain’s last remaining cinema.

President Cinema was shut down on April 30 last year, while Dynasty Theatre was demolished in 2019 for redevelopment after 28 years of operation. Lux Theatre was taken over by Korea’s CJ Group in 2010.

In January, major cinema chain Golden Harvest restored online ticket sales for four of its outlets after an earlier suspension sparked fears that more closures in the city were imminent.

At least nine cinemas ceased operations last year, including two operated by Golden Harvest in Kai Tak and Nam Cheong.

The others included Cine-Art House in Kowloon City, MCL Cinema at South Horizons, Cinema City at Langham Place and The Metroplex at Kowloon Bay International Trade and Exhibition Centre.

More from South China Morning Post:

For the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2025.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

JDT lift sixth Malaysia Cup with 2-0 win over Kuching City
No enforcement on non-Muslim houses of worship pending guideline review
Former Hong Kong top scorer Mung Chiang to lead prestigious Northwestern University
China inventor creates sword-shaped aerial vehicle, bringing flying sword in fantasy novels to life
China is replacing Middle East oil with Xinjiang coal. What does it mean for the world?
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (May 23, 2026)
WHO says new hantavirus case among the Hondius ship's crew
'All gone dark' - Bad weather triggers major blackout issues across Indonesia's Sumatra, confirms top official
Thailand confirms it will tighten Ebola screening for travellers from high-risk areas
Rubio renews ties with India after Trump's China lovefest

Others Also Read