Angkor registers 20-fold rise in international arrivals


THE kingdom’s famed Angkor Archaeological Park attracted 134,152 foreign tourists in the first nine months of 2022, an increase of 2,075% compared to the same period last year.

The ancient park earned US$5.36mil (RM25mil) in revenue during the January-September period this year, said the state-owned Angkor Enterprise in a statement.

The 401sq km Angkor Archaeological Park in Siem Reap province is the most popular tourist destination in the country.

“This heritage site is key to attracting tourists, creating jobs and generating incomes for our people in the tourism sector,” Cambodian Prime Minister Samdech Techo Hun Sen said on Saturday during a visit to the families, who volunteered to leave their illegal structures in the Angkor park to be relocated to a new place.

According to Angkor Enterprise, the entrance fee for a one-day visit to the park is US$37 (RM172), a three-day visit costs US$62 (RM288), and a week-long visit costs US$72 (RM334).

In a bid to encourage more foreign visitors to the park, the government announced last month that foreigners who have been living in the kingdom for more than two years could apply for one free admission a year to the Angkor and the Koh Ker Temple. — Xinhua

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Aseanplus News

Report: Hackers may be after your highly ranked video game account
Asean News Headlines at 9pm on Tuesday (Dec 6, 2022)
Philippines logs 883 new Covid-19 cases and 20 more deaths on Tuesday (Dec 6)
Vietnam reports 362 new Covid-19 cases and one death on Tuesday (Dec 6)
Soccer-Brazil's quality is 'terrifying', says Croatia's Dalic
Across vast Muslim world, LGBTQ people remain marginalized; Indonesia confirms its place in group
Thailand strengthen actions against fine dust pollution
Research programme launched to improve weather prediction in Singapore, broader region, says environment agency
Singapore man jailed over upskirt videos, including those of another man dressed in women’s clothes
MACC investigating allegations of misappropriation of RM600bil govt funds

Others Also Read