Hong Kong legislators question transport bureau’s proposal for congestion levy to ease traffic jams at cross-harbour tunnels


eab4f4bf-2b0b-47e6-ac65-01b78d4411b9_4c1f3e7d

Hong Kong legislators and a concern group have demanded further explanation from transport officials on a proposed congestion charge to discourage private car owners from using the city’s three cross-harbour tunnels during rush hour.

In a paper submitted to the Legislative Council last week, the Transport and Housing Bureau said it planned to introduce a congestion levy for the morning and evening rush hours aimed at minimising toll differences at the three tunnels and alleviating heavy traffic between Kowloon and Hong Kong Island.

Get 20% OFF The Star Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

RM 11.12/month

Billed as RM 11.12 for the 1st month, RM 13.90 thereafter.

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 9.87/month

Billed as RM 118.40 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
SCMP , Hong Kong , Traffic

Next In Aseanplus News

Palestine’s Cabinet warns of deteriorating humanitarian situation in Gaza
China joins global sell-off of US Treasuries in March as Iran war prompts panic
Anwar takes over Pandan as adopted constituency
Kazakhstan to deepen financial services cooperation with Hong Kong, consul says
Supporters gather in KLIA to welcome Global Sumud Flotilla activists’ return
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Sunday (May 24, 2026)
Will US defence strategy architect Colby pave the way for Hegseth’s China visit?
Woman sleeping in car arrested after drugs, vapes found in vehicle parked in Singapore's Sin Ming
Thai PM Anutin reaffirms Thai-Cambodian border crossings remain closed
Seven trapped in Laos cave after heavy rain triggers flash floods

Others Also Read