Woman suffers burns as public bus catches fire in Nonthaburi


bus

BANGKOK (The Nation/Asia News Network): A woman passenger was injured when a No. 552 bus caught fire in front of Pantip Plaza mall on Ngam Wong Wan Road in Nonthaburi province on Monday (May 23) night.

Firefighters took about 30 minutes to bring the blaze under control. Nine natural gas fuel tanks were found on the roof of the gutted bus.

The fire also damaged about 50m of adjacent electric and communication wires.

A statement released by the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) said the fire was caused by a brake system failure, which caused the brakes to stick together and overheat.

The BMTA has asked Cho Thavee, the company responsible for bus maintenance and repairs, to solve the problem.

The company said the accident happened due to rust on the brake discs after exposure to water, as the rainy season has started and many areas were flooded. The firm also claimed that it had changed the brake pads every 60,000km.

The BMTA has asked Cho Thavee to increase the frequency of inspection of engine systems and accessories to prevent a repeat of similar accidents.

Article type: free
User access status:
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Thailand , bus , fire , Nonthaburi

   

Next In Aseanplus News

Ressa: We will fight on even if our news site is shut down
Rappler ordered to cease operations
Govt bars prisons from using inmates to make fishing nets
No plans to end pandemicMove unlikely with varying virus situations in other countries
Death of child infected with Covid-19 ‘a rare case’
Ron Howard revisits Thai cave rescue
No snakes on this plane
Asean News Headlines as at 9pm on Wednesday (June 29)
Jail for man who lied about wife's whereabouts after she drove into lamp post
Philippines open to big hikes to aid peso: New central bank chief

Others Also Read