BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Sept 28 (Borneo Bulletin/ANN): Brunei Minister of Education Dato Seri Setia Awang Hamzah Sulaiman informed that the Primary School Assessment (PSR) Examination for Year 6 will be postponed to Nov 15.
The minister stated that the examination will be carried out subject to the development of the Covid-19 situation at the time.
Dato Seri Setia Awang Hamzah added that the Student Progress Examination (SPE) for Year 8 students will be replaced with School-Based Assessment (SBA), which includes assessment of Year 7 and 8 students throughout their learning sessions.
The total scores will be used to determine if the students moving on to Year 9 will enter a four- or five- year general programme or a five-year applied programme.
He said discussions are also underway to revert institutions from the current “community isolation centres”.
The minister expressed his gratitude for being given the opportunity to join in on the efforts in the Ministry of Health (MoH) Covid-19 fight.
“We need to assess the pandemic situation first, and we will need to discuss steps needed to convert the premises back to learning institutions,” Dato Seri Setia Awang Haji Hamzah said.
The minister also said the Ministry of Education (MoE) ensures that studies will be completed in accordance with the regular school cycle as the students’ future depends on it.
“The MoE is also ensuring the continuity of studies at all stages by taking into account the challenges of online learning,” he added.
Meanwhile, Brunei reported 160 new Covid-19 cases on Monday, bringing the national tally to 6,700.
According to Brunei's Ministry of Health, all the new cases are local infections. While the source of infection of 92 local cases is still under investigation, three new clusters have been detected and there are 53 additional new cases to eight of the existing active clusters.
There are currently 2,212 active cases being treated and monitored at the National Isolation Centre, with eight of them in critical condition and 38 other patients under close monitoring.
A total of 4,443 recovered patients and 45 patients' deaths have been reported so far in the country. - Borneo Bulletin/ANN