Olympic bubble touted as safe amid Covid-19 surge in Tokyo


Nearly 70 per cent of hospital beds for seriously ill Covid-19 patients were filled as of Sunday, city data showed. - AFP

TOKYO (The Straits Times/ANN): A Covid-19 patient, struggling for breath, was turned away by nearly 100 hospitals in Tokyo over a span of eight hours last week before he was finally admitted into one.

The man in his 50s wound up in a hospital 50km away from home – a distance that spans Singapore’s easternmost to westernmost point.

The harrowing tale, which was first reported by broadcaster TBS on Monday (Aug 2), comes as the International Olympic Committee (IOC) is touting the Tokyo Games bubble as one of the safest places from Covid-19 on the planet.

Despite a vigorous daily testing regime, the Games has returned a positive test rate of just 0.02 per cent – or 294 cases – out of the more than 400,000 tests that have been conducted since July 1.

The relentless and merciless surge of Covid-19 outside the Olympic bubble, driven by the Delta variant, has led the IOC to warn visiting delegations of the risk of infection if they were to break playbook rules.

The underlying message is clear. While the playbook was devised to ease concerns among the Japanese that foreigners will bring in Covid-19, the rules now offer the best protection for visiting delegations against bringing the virus back home.

Outside the Olympic bubble, warnings abound that overburdened medical systems across the country are on the precipice of collapse. But nowhere is the situation more acute than in Tokyo in the fifth wave.

Against this backdrop, doctors who have volunteered their services for the Games are considering dropping out.

“While I want to support the Olympics as a sports fan, as a doctor I must prioritise the medical crisis that is unfolding at my hospital,” Dr Taketomo Omomo of the Heisei Tateishi Hospital in Tokyo told public broadcaster NHK.

“I fear my absence will worsen the burden when it should be all hands on deck.”

More than half of Covid-19 patients who are now recuperating at home cannot be admitted into hospital even if they call for an ambulance, media reports said.

Latest data from the Tokyo Metropolitan Government showed that 12,161 people were recovering at home – a number previously unseen in the pandemic – while 8,270 people were “awaiting guidance” on whether they should be admitted into hospital.

Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, who must call a general election within two months, said on Monday that hospitals will on principle only admit the sickest and those who are deemed to be most at risk of developing severe symptoms.

Everyone else – including those with medium symptoms – will recover at home or at designated facilities such as hotels, he said.

“We will secure the necessary beds to ensure severe and at-risk cases can be admitted,” Suga said. “Home recuperation will be the standard for others, and we will make sure they can be hospitalised right away if their conditions worsen.”

This marks a sharp turnaround in policy, which had previously accommodated a wider range of high-risk patients. This illustrates the shift in age profile as Covid-19 cases fall among the elderly – 75.8 per cent of whom are fully vaccinated – while the middle-aged are developing the worst symptoms.

Japan has to look no further than the fourth wave earlier this year that ravaged the Osaka metropolitan area, with dozens dying at home as the medical system buckled.

But the successes within the Olympic Village also exemplify the inadequacies of the Japanese government to ring-fence Covid-19 in the community. This is unlike other countries, where polymerase chain reaction tests are widely available – sometimes even for free – in addition to an intense contact tracing and isolation regime.

This could be a reason why a majority of cases are unlinked. Further complicating the battle is the slow progress in vaccinations of the general public, with just under 30 per cent of the population fully inoculated.

Japan topped 10,000 cases nationwide each day between Thursday and Sunday before the tally dipped to 8,393 cases on Monday. Yet this figure is the highest ever for a Monday, which typically sees an ebb in caseloads with fewer tests on the weekends.

There were 2,195 cases in Tokyo in a seventh straight day above 2,000 cases, while Kanagawa and Fukushima set new one-day peaks on Monday with 1,686 and 136 cases respectively.

Okinawa, meanwhile, has the worst proportion of cases, with 171 infected per 100,000 residents in the past week. Governor Denny Tamaki asked people to thoroughly refrain from going out.

This comes despite a state of emergency having been in place in Tokyo since July 12, and in Okinawa since May 23. The emergency was expanded to Chiba, Kanagawa, Saitama and Osaka on Monday.

Another five areas – Hokkaido, Ishikawa, Kyoto, Hyogo and Fukuoka – also came under lighter “quasi-emergency” curbs from Monday, with measures to expire on Aug 31 in all 11 areas.

Governors of rural regions expressed alarm at the surge in a National Governors’ Association meeting on Sunday, with leaders of Fukui, Miyazaki and Ibaraki prefectures calling for a nationwide state of emergency to send a stronger message.

Still, airlines are reporting a surge in domestic flight bookings this month. While still lower than pre-pandemic days, bookings are up by about 50 per cent from August last year – when there was no emergency in place.

Given the dwindling efficacy of a state of emergency, politicians, including Hakubun Shimomura, the policy chief of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party, have said it was high time for the Diet to debate changes to existing laws to allow blanket lockdowns.

Okinawa Governor Hirofumi Yoshimura warned on Monday of the “biggest crisis”, adding: “A tsunami may well be coming.” - The Straits Times/Asia News Network

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Japan , Olympics , covid-19 , bubble , doctors

   

Next In Aseanplus News

Asean News Headlines at 10 pm on Friday (Sept 24)
Singapore reports 1,650 new Covid-19 cases; 3 elderly men with chronic health problems die on Friday (Sept 24)
Indonesia reports 2,557 new Covid-19 cases, 144 more deaths as total goes past 4.2 million on Friday (Sept 24)
Thailand reports 12,697 new Covid-19 cases and 132 more deaths on Friday (Sept 24)
Philippine Covid-19 cases total soars above 2.45 million with 18,659 new infections on Friday (Sept 24)
Vietnam logs fewest daily Covid-19 cases since Aug 11
Indonesia: Convicted police general under investigation for abusing fellow inmate
Thailand seeks to slash quarantine period for visitors
Philippines: Duterte threatens use of military force to ensure peaceful 2022 elections
Pfizer in talks over full license for Covid-19 vaccine in Singapore as govt tightens virus curbs

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers