Carrie Lam orders another round of coronavirus testing for Hong Kong’s domestic helpers, pulls plug on mandatory vaccination plan


Hong Kong’s leader has ordered another round of compulsory Covid-19 testing for the city’s roughly 370,000 foreign domestic workers, but has withdrawn a mandatory vaccination plan after discussions with consulates.

The U-turn came as Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor on Tuesday said the coronavirus situation had stabilised after a fourth day of zero local infections had passed, and announced that city schools would resume face-to-face classes on a half-day basis from May 24.

Speaking ahead of her weekly Executive Council meeting, she also apologised for the chaotic arrangements experienced by residents forced into mandatory quarantine over the weekend.

Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team.

Chief Executive Carrie Lam has withdrawn a controversial vaccination plan for the city’s domestic helper population. Photo: Felix Wong

“The [helper vaccination] policy has aroused a lot of concerns, so after evaluation based on public health and taking into consideration the fact that other countries are still not asking for mandatory vaccinations ... as well as the legal risks of such a plan, the government has decided not to request mandatory vaccination when helpers renew their contracts,” she said.

She said another round of mandatory testing would be required for all domestic helpers soon, though those who had been vaccinated would be exempted. The new round of testing will start on Saturday with a screening deadline of May 30.

“It’s like we’re working in the dark when determining appropriate public health measures,” she conceded.

“We have to take precautions before any possible outbreaks, as we had found some infectious Covid-19 variants in the community. Having considered the inconvenience caused to the helpers and the employers [by the previous deadline], we have decided to extend the testing period for the second round.”

Lam said more than 340,000 helpers showed up for the recent screenings, which lasted just nine days and ended on May 9. Three of that group tested positive for Covid-19.

The decision to retest all domestic workers prompted an angry response from the Philippines’ top diplomat in Hong Kong, with Consul General Raly Tejada saying it was “illogical” that employers did not have to be screened as well.

Tejada said he was informed of the plan during a Monday meeting with labour minister Dr Law Chi-kwong.

“I questioned the necessity of another mandatory test, citing the near-perfect compliance of domestic workers to the initial mandatory test,” Tejada said.

“I said that the initial mandatory test was already a success, having caught three cases that were linked to the previous initial case and therefore traceable. I also stated that I find it illogical to not include the employers who are in the same household.”

But Law told him that screening employers as well would mean having to test about a million people, posing logistical challenges.

Tejada said he believed the second mandatory round would “not go down well with the community”.

Addressing the mandatory quarantine recently imposed on more than 2,000 city residents, Lam apologised and thanked them for their understanding, saying she understood they had faced unpleasant experiences ranging from poor food to confusion about when they could leave the government facility.

Lam on Tuesday also noted that no major outbreak had followed the discovery of more infectious Covid-19 variants in the community in mid-April, pointing to a seven-day rolling average of just 0.1 untraceable cases. Only one case, imported from Indonesia, was recorded on Tuesday.

But she said Hong Kong’s current social-distancing measures would remain in place until May 28 due to an abundance of caution, while schools would be allowed to resume face-to-face classes on a half-day basis on May 24, after the Diploma of Secondary Education (DSE) exams.

She added that the announcement was intended to give schools more time to prepare.

People queue up for mandatory Covid-19 testing earlier this month. Photo: May Tse

The withdrawal of the helper vaccination plan came a week after Lam announced that the government had decided to review the controversial proposal and conduct further discussions with stakeholders.

The government sparked an outcry on April 30 when it announced all domestic helpers would have to be vaccinated when renewing their contracts or applying for a Hong Kong work visa, with labour minister Law Chi-kwong saying it was not too much to ask as those affected could “choose not to work in Hong Kong”.

In response, Philippine Consul General Raly Tejada on Saturday argued that if domestic helpers from his country were forced to accept the new policy, it should apply to all non-resident foreign workers for the sake of fairness. Philippine foreign affairs secretary Teodoro Locsin Jnr, meanwhile, said the move “smacked of discrimination”.

Indonesia later joined the Philippines in appealing for a fairer application of anti-pandemic measures.

Separately on Tuesday, respiratory medicine specialist Dr Leung Chi-chiu said while no new mutated coronavirus variants had been recorded the past few days, the city should remain on alert for the next two weeks given that the virus could still be incubating in the community.

“Having these [variant] cases in the community brings many troubles ... If we’re unlucky, it could lead to a continuous spread or even a large outbreak,” he said.

Additional reporting by Kanis Leung

More from South China Morning Post:

For the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Aseanplus News

Asean News Headlines as at 9pm on Monday (June 21)
16 new Covid-19 cases in Singapore, including 13 in community
Myanmar's Suu Kyi on trial, thanks people for birthday wishes
Indonesia under Covid-19 grip again as total cases goes pass 2 million; 14,536 cases on Monday (June 21)
Thailand to allocate Sinopharm vaccines to selected organisations as govt reports over 3,000 daily Covid-19 cases for 5 days in row
Philippines: Duterte issues directive to tighten border control to prevent further entry of the rapidly spreading Delta variant; Covid-19 total now 1,364,239
Doctors bring Vietnam's Covid-19 prevention role model to UN peacekeeping mission; 272 new cases reported on Monday (June 21)
Myanmar's Suu Kyi thanks supporters for flower protests
Olympics-Up to 10,000 fans allowed at Tokyo 2020 venues, despite warnings
Hong Kong to cut quarantine time for vaccinated travellers

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers