THE date for the air travel bubble between Singapore and Hong Kong has yet to be fixed, said the Ministry of Transport (MOT).
The update comes after media reports said Singapore and Hong Kong had called off plans to announce the air travel bubble yesterday.
The cancellation was initiated by the Singapore side, according to a Bloomberg report.
An MOT spokesman said the two cities have been in close consultations on the travel arrangement, which was initially slated to take off in November last year.
“We have not fixed a date to announce the resumption of the bubble, but will do so once we are ready, hopefully very soon, ” the ministry’s spokesman added.
The Singapore-Hong Kong arrangement was postponed to this year after a surge in Covid-19 cases in Hong Kong.
Recent talks suggested that the travel bubble might begin soon with the Covid-19 situation improving in Hong Kong.
Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam had said on April 13 that she expects “an early indication of agreement between the two sides” on the travel bubble.
On April 14, Singapore Transport Minister Ong Ye Kung announced that details of the arrangement to restart all forms of travel between Singapore and Hong Kong without quarantine were being finalised. — The Straits Times/ANN