China celebrates four years without a violent terrorist incident


There have been no terrorist attacks in China for the past four years, the public security ministry said on Thursday.

“Our battle against terrorism has continued to do well, and there have been no violent terrorist incidents for four consecutive years,” spokesman Li Guozhong told a press conference held to review the ministry’s work and achievements between 2013 and 2020.

“The present situation is stable and harmonious as people enjoy security and a good living and work environment,” he said.

Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team.

That state had been achieved as a result of a “high pressure approach” to fighting terrorism and the “successful implementation of the leadership’s new era governance strategy in Xinjiang”, he said.

A guard tower and barbed wire fences are seen around a Xinjiang facility in 2018.  China has been accused of oppressive behaviour towards the area’s Uygurs and other Muslim populations, including placing them in internment camps. Photo: AP

Li said the focus of the ministry’s work over the past seven years had been “safeguarding the security of the regime and the [political] system”.

The ministry had “fought against infiltrations and subversion by foreign powers, as well as all kinds of political risks both online and offline”, he said, without giving any details.

He also described religious groups like Falun Gong as cults, saying Chinese authorities had increased efforts to “convert” their members through re-education.

Xinjiang ‘genocide’ claims are ‘fake news’, Chinese foreign minister says

Li did not mention the internment camps in Xinjiang, but it was about four years ago when Beijing began sending large numbers of Uygurs and Kazakhs to them.

Human rights groups have said more than 1.5 million Uygurs and Kazakhs were sent to the camps between 2017 and 2019, and accused China of serious abuses within their walls.

Beijing has repeatedly denied such allegations. In a white paper last year, it said nearly 1.3 million people in Xinjiang received “vocational training” every year between 2014 and 2019.

As the international backlash caused by the re-education camps in Xinjiang has intensified, Beijing has stepped up its defence by stressing the need to crack down on terrorist activities in the region.

But many Western nations have openly criticised China’s treatment of Uygur Muslims in Xinjiang with some going so far as to accuse Beijing of genocide.

Last month, the US, Canada, European Union and Britain imposed sanctions on various Chinese officials for their alleged links to human rights abuses in Xinjiang. Beijing retaliated with sanctions against American, Canadian and European officials and academics.

Beijing then hit out at fashion retailers like H&M and industry bodies like the Better Cotton Initiative for their comments about the use of forced labour in Xinjiang.

Leading Japanese ketchup producer Kagome has stopped importing tomatoes from Xinjiang.

More from South China Morning Post:

For the latest news from the South China Morning Post download our mobile app. Copyright 2021.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Aseanplus News

Asean News Headlines as at 8pm on Saturday (May 8)
Chinese consumer goods expo gives digital renminbi a boost
Singapore cops probe 321 suspects over scams where victims lost S$8.4mil
Cinema hotels attract increasing audiences in Beijing
Health DG: Saliva-based Covid-19 tests available to the public soon
Covid-19: All premises listed in HIDE system must close for three days
More than half of over 2,000 new Covid-19 cases found in Bangkok; 19 patients die
Over 100 Victoria JC students and staff in Singapore quarantined after positive test for Covid-19
Vinamilk's network of 13 modern factories lead dairy market in Vietnam
Health DG: Covid-19 cases will surpass 5,000 daily by end May – unless Malaysians do their part

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers