First death from Covid-19 reported


THE nation has confirmed its first death from Covid-19 since the pandemic began more than a year ago as it battles a new local outbreak that has infected hundreds of people.

The 50-year-old man was confirmed infected last month while working as a driver for a Chinese company in coastal Sihanoukville and died in a hospital yesterday morning, the Health Ministry said in a statement.

Cambodia has confirmed only 1,163 cases of infection with the coronavirus since the pandemic began, but it is battling a new local outbreak that has infected several hundred people.

According to the Health Ministry, the new outbreak was traced to a foreign resident who broke quarantine in a hotel and went to a nightclub in early February.

That caused a slew of cases and led the government on Feb 20 to close public schools, cinemas, bars and entertainment areas in Phnom Penh for two weeks.

The government has since extended the closures for two more weeks for schools, gyms, concert halls, museums and other venues in Phnom Penh, nearby Kandal province and Sihanoukville. — AP

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Aseanplus News

Asean News Headlines as at 10pm on Monday (Jan 17)
China records 8.1 per cent growth in 2021, but analysts say recovery has been lacklustre
Digital crimes will be tougher to address as cities digitalise, conference told
New Indonesian capital to be called Nusantara
Cambodian PM, Asean sec-gen meet on RCEP, Myanmar
'No vax, no ride’ policy starts in Metro Manila’s public transport
How Indonesia’s G20 presidency should cope with digital currencies
Yao Ming invites China critic Enes Kanter to visit Beijing
Telenor to divest more Myanmar businesses
Vietnam records more than 16,300 new Covid-19 cases

Others Also Read


Vouchers