Japan minister apologises for bureaucrat's dinners with tech firm executives


Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga speaks during a news conference in Tokyo, Japan March 5, 2021. - Reuters

TOKYO (Reuters): Japan's internal affairs minister removed a senior bureaucrat from his post and apologised on Monday (March 8) for what he said could be a breach of the law after an inquiry showed that the official attended meals with officials of Nippon Telegraph and Telephone (NTT).

Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga's administration has faced public criticism after the Shukan Bunshun magazine said internal affairs ministry officials wined and dined with NTT, as well as Suga's son, an executive at a company that produces television programmes for satellite broadcasters.

Yasuhiko Taniwaki, the vice-minister for policy coordination, was transferred to another section after an investigation by the internal affairs ministry confirmed that he had attended the dinners with NTT president Jun Sawada, among others.

"It's regrettable that something that seriously undermines trust in public affairs has occurred," said Ryota Takeda, the Minister for Internal Affairs and Communications.

Japan's National Civil Service Ethics Law forbids government employees from receiving gifts or entertainment from individuals or companies that could be seen to curry favour.

However, a Yomiuri daily poll published on Monday showed support for Suga's administration outstripping the non-support rate for the first time since December as new coronavirus cases declined.

Support for Suga's administration rose to 48 per cent in the survey conducted between March 5 and 7, for an increase of nine percentage points from the previous month's poll.

A spokesman for NTT, which was previously state-owned, declined to comment on the case, saying only that it was considering setting up a third-party panel to investigate.

The Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications oversees the telecom and broadcasting industries.

Suga apologised last week after a key government spokesman, who hailed from the ministry and attended the dinners hosted by Suga's son along with other officials, resigned.

Lowering mobile phone service charges has been a key policy goal for Suga.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Japan , Nippon , Telegraph , Telephone , Yasuhiko Taniwaki

   

Next In Aseanplus News

Tragedy strikes as four students drown while swimming in central Vietnam as govt announces three more Covid-19 cases
Covid-19: Fresh spike in Thailand sparks hospital bed shortage concerns
Thailand's Gulf Energy plans US$5.4bil bid for control of nation's biggest mobile operator
Emerging markets: Investors keen on Indonesia central bank meeting as India stocks sink on virus surge
Cambodia: More markets in capital shut amid outbreak
Covid-19: 2,078 new cases, eight new fatalities
Victims of southern Lao dam disaster start to rebuild lives
Cambodia: New rapid Covid-19 testing device deployed in capital
Covid-19 vaccination programme in Laos makes good progress
Oil slips as rising infections spark demand concerns

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers