Veteran actor Terence Cao and a male guest identified as Lance Lim Chee Keong appeared in a district court yesterday after they allegedly breached safe distancing rules at Mediacorp artiste Jeffrey Xu’s birthday party last year.
Cao and Lim are accused of breaching phase two regulations that restricted social gatherings to no more than five people.
Each of them faces a charge under the Covid-19 (Temporary Measures) Act.
Thirteen people, including Cao, Xu and fellow actor Shane Pow, attended the party at a condominium apartment in Daisy Road off Braddell Road between 9pm on
Oct 2 and 1am the following day.
Media reports have stated that Cao, 53, is the owner of the unit.
Lim, 50, is said to have invited three visitors despite knowing this would breach the maximum number of five allowed at the gathering.
Eleven of those who gathered have already been fined S$300 (RM914) in lieu of being prosecuted due to their lower “level of culpability”.
An advisory was issued to the condo’s management corporation to remind it to keep to the rules.
Xu’s 32nd birthday party celebrations received flak on social media after pictures of the unmasked group went viral online.
The celebrities have since apologised via Mediacorp, saying they “deeply regret” their actions.
Deejay Sonia Chew, who was later identified as being at the party, was dropped from hosting Mediacorp’s annual countdown show due to the incident.
She later said she was invited to have drinks in what she understood to be a small group of people and was not aware it was a birthday celebration.
Mediacorp had earlier said that it takes safe distancing and Covid-19 regulations seriously and reminded its artistes to follow the rules in both their professional and personal capacities.
“We have cooperated fully with the authorities on their investigations. We do not condone the actions of the four artistes and the company has conducted an internal review and disciplinary actions will be taken, ” it added. — The Straits Times/ANN