Hong Kong sees 103 new Covid-19 infections as clusters grow


HONG KONG (China Daily/ANN): Hong Kong reported 103 new Covid-19 infections on Wednesday (Dec 2), a triple-digit increase in daily cases for the second time in the city’s fourth wave of outbreak, bringing the city’s infection tally to 6,499.

Among the fresh infections, 97 were locally transmitted, 15 of which were untraceable, Chuang Shuk-kwan, who heads the Centre for Health Protection’s communicable disease branch, said at a press briefing in the afternoon.

The city’s major infection clusters continued to grow. Thirteen new patients were linked to the dance cluster – the biggest cluster so far and involving 565 confirmed patients.

Another cluster that centered on a construction site in Lohas Park, a private housing project in Tseung Kwan O, saw 16 new patients, including 14 workers and two of their family members, according to Chuang. The group now has 19 patients.

Thirty-nine new patients were residents at Tung Wah Group of Hospitals Fong Shu Chuen Care & Attention Home in Shau Kei Wan. The cluster now involved 41 residents and three workers there.

A patient who once had a kidney dialysis at Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital tested positive for the coronavirus. The case was linked to a previous patient who required the same service at the hospital.

Around 70 people tested preliminarily positive on Wednesday, Chuang said.

Meanwhile, a 73-year-old patient died on Wednesday afternoon, bringing the city’s coronavirus-related deaths to 110.

The woman was hospitalized on Oct 2 due to fever, vomiting and diarrhea and confirmed as infected, the Hospital Authority said in a statement. She tested negative after receiving treatment but later suffered a respiratory failure and succumbed to the disease.

More community treatment facilities set up at the AsiaWorld-Expo will start to receive patients on Thursday, providing a total of 500 beds, said Lau Ka-hin, chief manager of the Hospital Authority. He added that 360 patients have already been admitted to the exhibition centre’s facilities.

The Chinese Manufacturers’ Association of Hong Kong announced in a statement on Wednesday that this year’s Hong Kong Brands and Products Expo, originally scheduled from Dec 12 to Jan 4 at Victoria Park in Causeway Bay, will be postponed.

The expo is one of the city’s largest, oldest outdoor fairs of local products, which had attracted more than 300 brands to participate this year.

Victoria Park has been forced to close for at least two weeks as the government shut down public leisure venues to cope with the fourth wave.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Hong Kong , covid-19 , new clusters , cases

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Aseanplus News

All schools in Thailand, except Samut Sakhon, to reopen from Feb 1
S. Korea's Moon hopes country can be a top 10 economy in 2021
Singapore teen held for planning mosque attacks to receive religious, psychological counselling
Misinformation and fear dog Philippine plan for Covid-19 vaccine drive
China's Xi stresses Hong Kong leaders must be patriotic
China firmly opposes Indian move to continue apps ban
Asean News Headlines as at 6pm on Wednesday (Jan 27)
Covid-19: Record 18,000 daily virus toll worldwide; more than 100 million cases recorded; global death toll at 2.16 million
Man jailed for 1,050 years for raping stepdaughter
‘Stay put during Spring Festival’

Stories You'll Enjoy


-->