Hong Kong's Covid-19 numbers at single digit on Sunday (Sept 20)


  • AseanPlus News
  • Sunday, 20 Sep 2020

Employees practicing new procedures on a model customer at a Sauna and Spa centre to prepare for reopening, following the coronavirus outbreak, in Hong Kong, New cases in Hong Kong was only four on Sunday (Sept 20) as the government continues its Covid-19 restrictions rules. - Reuters

HONG KONG, Sept 20 (Xinhua): Hong Kong reported four new local infections of Covid-19 on Sunday, signaling continued abatement of the third wave of outbreak.

Hong Kong's Centre for Health Protection said in a statement that all the local new infections can be traced to previous patients and added that there were also 19 imported cases on Sunday.

With daily new cases at a low level, the epidemic situation has been easing in Hong Kong as government efforts have taken effect, including social distancing measures and a universal testing programme that identified 32 patients.

Tony Ko Pat-sing, Chief Executive of Hong Kong's Hospital Authority, said Hong Kong will adjust its measures to prepare for a long-term epidemic, such as strengthened screening for high-risk groups, better protection of old-aged residents and stronger capacity of public hospitals.

The number of confirmed Covid-19 cases in Hong Kong has totalled 5,032. Enditem

Meanwhile, A senior official of Hong Kong's government on Sunday called for support from lawmakers in the third round of anti-epidemic fund to fight Covid-19 and revive the economy.

Matthew Cheung, chief secretary for administration of the HKSAR government, said in an online article that he will strive to win the lawmakers' support when attending a Legislative Council (LegCo) meeting on Friday.

"Given continued epidemic and economic hardships, I genuinely hope LegCo members can ... avoid unnecessary infighting and work with the government to fight the epidemic, develop the economy and improve people's livelihood for the sake of Hong Kong's overall interests," Cheung said.

Cheung said the government will implement the measures as soon as possible after the LegCo approved the new fund.

The HKSAR government announced on Wednesday a relief package worth HK$24 billion (US$3.1 billion) to subsidise virus-hit businesses and individuals and improve anti-epidemic capacity, which, Cheung said, will be more targeted and precise in helping those in need.

The economic relief came as Hong Kong's jobless rate remained high at 6.1 per cent from June to August, with the rate in consumption- and tourism-related sectors surging to 10.9 per cent.

To prop up the struggling economy and ensure people's livelihood, the government has rolled out economic relief of more than HK$300 billion in total. By the end of August, more than HK$78 billion of relief had been distributed, benefiting over 4.3 million people and 450,000 businesses. - Xinhua
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

100% readers found this article insightful

Across the site