CHIKV re-emerged in the South-East Asian country last month and had left 1,020 people ill, including 562 females, the official said in a statement.
"More than 80 per cent of the cases had been detected in four provinces, namely Siem Reap, Banteay Meanchey, Preah Vihear and Kampong Cham," Vandine said.
She added that eight other CHIKV-hit provinces are Oddar Meanchey, Tboung Khmum, Takeo, Kampot, Preah Sihanouk, Pursat, Stung Treng and Pailin.
CHIKV is an alphavirus transmitted to humans through the bite of an infected Aedes mosquito, a daytime bitter, the statement said, adding that its symptoms include acute fever for three to four days, joint pain, muscle pain, headache, vomiting, fatigue and rash.
"Usually, CHIKV is not fatal and most of the patients will recover within a week...but patients can die if they simultaneously have other diseases such as malaria, dengue fever and meningitis," the statement said.
Vandine said to prevent from CHIKV, people should avoid being bitten by an Aedes mosquito by sleeping inside mosquito nets and wearing long sleeves and full-length trousers or skirts.
She also called on households to fill in puddles around their houses, saying that they are sources of mosquitoes.
"If someone has the symptom of acute fever, he or she should hurry to visit the nearest health centre or hospital for treatment," she said.
CHIKV was first detected in Cambodia in 1961 and re-emerged in 2011, the statement said. - Xinhua
Did you find this article insightful?
100% readers found this article insightful