KUALA LUMPUR: Dane Morten Frost has drawn up a detailed plan to help Lee Chong Wei be a world beater again.
For a start, the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) technical director will appeal to the Badminton World Federation (BWF) to allow world No. 30 Chong Wei to participate in the two upcoming Superseries tournaments in Australia from May 26-31 and Indonesia from June 2-7.
The closing dates for both the tournaments was on April 14 (Australia) and April 21 (Indonesia).
“We are appealing to the BWF to allow Chong Wei to compete in the two tournaments,” said Frost.
On Monday, Chong Wei was handed an eight-month ban for testing positive for the banned substance dexamethasone at last year’s World Championships in Copenhagen. The sentence was backdated to Aug 30 and he is cleared to play on Friday.
“If the BWF reject our appeal, we will submit his name for the US Open Grand Prix Gold (in New York from June 16-21).
“We need to get his world ranking up in order for him to play in all the other Superseries tournaments,” said Frost.
“For now, he has been named for the Sudirman Cup (in Dongguan, China, from May 10-17) and the SEA Games (in Singapore from June 5-16). The Games do not offer world ranking points.”
Chong Wei is likely to drop out of the top 50 when the new world rankings list is released on Thursday.
The drop is expected as he will be docked the ranking points he won for his second-place finish at the World Championships.
The BWF will use the rankings list to determine the qualifiers for the World Championships in Jakarta in August and Chong Wei is expected to be ranked third behind Chong Wei Feng and Zulfadli Zulkiffli.
A country can have a maximum of two representatives if all of them are ranked within the top 150.“We want Chong Wei to compete in the World Championships. We have to pick our two men’s singles representatives, but we will decide on this matter later when the official rankings list is out,” said Frost.