Nigerian military says most of abducted schoolgirls freed


  • World
  • Thursday, 17 Apr 2014

ABUJA (Reuters) - Nigeria's military said on Wednesday its forces had freed most of the schoolgirls abducted by Islamist Boko Haram militants, and were continuing the search for eight students still missing.

"With this development, the Principal of the school has confirmed that only 8 of the students are still missing," armed forces spokesman Major General Chris Olukolade said in a statement sent to media. He did not specify exactly how many of the girls had been rescued, but said one of the "terrorists" involved in the abduction had been captured.

(Reporting by Isaac Abrak and Chijioke Ohuocha; Editing by Pascal Fletcher)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In World

Killer of South African anti-apartheid leader Hani stabbed in prison
S. African scientific institute warns of increasing plastic pollution
Senegal beat Ecuador to reach World Cup last 16
Netherlands beat Qatar to finish top in World Cup Group A
1st LD: China's traditional tea-making enters UNESCO cultural heritage list
Lula seen tapping Haddad for Brazil finance minister in coming days -sources
Nigeria midway through COVID-19 immunization: official
Myanmar extends COVID-19 restrictions until end of December
G7 justice ministers agree to coordinate Ukraine war crime probes
UN Iran expert concerned about death sentences for protesters

Others Also Read