Nazri, the Culture and Tourism Minister, said the right procedure would be for WSJ to lodge a report with the police on the allegation of RM2.6bil of 1Malaysia Development Bhd funds being transferred to Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak's bank accounts.
“WSJ should provide the authorities with the evidence, proof and facts. That is the procedure.
“If Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak takes action only against WSJ, it looks like he is being selective.
"The Prime Minister must be consistent. You must be consistent… You must sue all the parties,” Nazri said.
"I am going to urge him not to. I will inform him as soon as possible,” Nazri added.
On the special taskforce raiding the premises of SRC International Sdn Bhd, Gandingan Mentari Sdn Bhd and Ihsan Perdana Sdn Bhd, Nazri said: “It does not matter. They (WSJ) still have to make a police report. If they have given it to the taskforce, then there is no need for the PM to sue them."
“Just allow the taskforce to complete their work and investigation, and we can take it from there.
"In circumstances like this, it is the party alleging wrongdoing who must report to the police not the Prime Minister suing them," he said.
Najib said he has referred the allegation to his lawyers and would decide on the course of action next week.
WSJ and Sarawak Report published an article on Friday quoting an "unnamed investigator", claiming that almost US$700mil (RM2.63bil) of 1MDB funds went into Najib's personal accounts.
The Prime Minister's Office responded by saying that the articles were "political sabotage” while the 1MDB insisted that no funds had been transferred to Najib's accounts.
Najib has also refuted the claims, maintaining that the allegations are a political ploy engineered by his opponents in an attempt to topple him, among them former premier Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
The New York-based publication however insisted that their investigation was based on solid documentation.