PETALING JAYA: Breaking of fast for the residents of Kampung Kayu Ara was rudely interrupted when fire razed a furniture warehouse here, sending smoke and embers billowing into the evening sky.
A portion of the roof of the Jalan Masjid warehouse collapsed under the intense blaze, while the fire also fried two electric boxes, causing sparks and resulting in residents running for cover.
No one was injured in the incident.
The 6.30pm Sunday fire was brought under control by 20 Fire and Rescue Department officers and three fire trucks in about one-and-a-half hours.
SS2 fire station operations chief Mustada Silong said that the fire had started at the upper level of the warehouse and that officers faced difficulties putting it out due to lack of water.
“The nearest fire hydrant was too far and the pressure was not enough to get the water up to the fire.
“Luckily we were able to take the water from the Petronas station next to the warehouse,” he said, adding that cars running over the hose also slowed fire personnel down.
Kayu Ara resident Hasin Rohim, 40, said he was preparing to break his fast when he saw a large plum of smoke in the air.
“I was shocked to see the big fire. The firemen came too late. If they were here sooner the place could have been saved,” he said.
Resident Suparlan Dahlan, 52, whose home was next to the burning warehouse said his house experienced an power outage after the fire fried the electric box.“I’ve been living here for many years and this was the biggest fire I have seen here,” he said.
Did you find this article insightful?