Home Ministry confirms discovery of mass grave in Padang Besar


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 24 May 2015

KAJANG: The Home Ministry has confirmed the shocking unearthing of a mass grave near 17 human trafficking detention camps in Padang Besar.

The camps have been here for awhile, said Home Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi (pic). “Maybe even five-years. I am shocked!” he said.

The grave and camps, in Wang Kelian and several small villages along the border town of Padang Besar, were discovered by VAT69 and General Operations Force (GOF) officers last week.

The camps were, however, abandoned when officers got there.

“The Inspector-General of Police and the deputy IGP are there now for the identification and verification process.

“One grave maybe has three, four bodies. But we don’t know how many there are. We are probably going to find more bodies,” Dr. Ahmad Zahid said.

He said the public would be updated as soon as fresh information is available.

Dr Ahmad Zahid added that discovery left little doubt that Malaysians were involved.

“Malaysia as a government is not involved. But Malaysians, yes! I recognise that as a fact.

“But you know, in Mexico and the United States, they have more intelligence and state-of-the-art border security but there is still human trafficking happening there,” he told reporters at the Kajang Prison during the Ministry's Family Day celebration.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online