Ministry: Dengue deaths up by 105% this year


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 14 Mar 2015

PETALING JAYA: There has been a 105.6% increase in the number of deaths due to dengue so far this year, compared to the same period last year.

The Health Ministry said there were 74 deaths, compared to 36 nationwide last year, between Jan 1 and March 7.

In just one week, between March 1 and 7 this year, there were 12 deaths due to dengue.

“The states which reported deaths from dengue were Selangor, with seven deaths, four in Perak, and one in Penang,” health director-general Datuk Seri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said in a statement.

“All deaths were due to complications caused by dengue fever.”

Dr Noor Hisham said 2,643 dengue cases were reported between March 1 and March 7, compared with 2,656 the previous week.

The cumulative number of dengue cases for this year until March 7, he said, had gone up by 44.3% to 26,609 cases from only 18,435 during the same period last year.

He said there were currently 961 outbreak localities, which were still active nationwide. These localities are in Selangor (229), Perak (37), Sabah (three), Penang (one) and Pahang (one).

The Health Ministry, he said, has implemented various efforts to reduce the number of cases including Ops Gempur at construction sites in Selangor.

“Between Feb 10 and March 6, we found that 87 of the 102 construction sites, or 85% had breeding grounds. All will be taken to court.

“Of these, 74 have been ordered shut to conduct cleaning activities.”


dengue , health , deaths

   

Across The Star Online