1,097 bumi buyers for Datum Jelatek condo


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 27 Jan 2015

The damaged hoarding of the Datum Jelatek Project is seen following a demonstration by a group of residents in Taman Keramat, Kuala Lumpur - Azhar Arif/The Star

PETALING JAYA: A total of 1,097 potential bumiputra buyers have registered their interest in the 674 Datum Jelatek condominium units, according to the Selangor State Development Corporation (PKNS).

Quashing claims that Malays could not afford the luxury units, its general manager Azlan Md Alifiah said in a statement that the bumiputra interest shown in the project had exceeded expectations.

“As of Jan 14, 2015, the project received overwhelming support and so far, a total of 1,097 bumiputra buyers have registered and this far exceeded the number of units available,” he said.

On Sunday, hundreds of people protested against the construction of the Datum Jelatek luxury condominium in Keramat. They broke into the construction site of the project, tearing down the zinc hoardings placed around it.

The protesters, led by Datum Jelatek action committee chairman Salleh Samad, claimed that the project would not benefit the Malays, as the RM700,000 per unit condomi­nium, developed by Datumcorp International (DCI), was beyond their reach.

Salleh claimed that the project would allow the non-Malays to reside in the “100% Malay” area, a situation that he said the Malays in the area were not prepared to accept.

Azlan said yesterday they would initiate legal action against the “irresponsible quarters” who had caused damage to public pro­perty and vandalism at the site.

“What happened is a disappointment as the demonstration, which was otherwise peaceful, turned violent when some indivi­duals destroyed the hoardings.

“We are looking at this matter seriously and legal action will be taken against those involved. DCI has also lodged a police report on the matter,” said Azlan.

On allegations that PKNS had never met with residents on the project, he said, both the state subsidiary and DCI had held several meetings with Taman Keramat residents.

“We have organised meetings and dialogues with the residents and we even received positive feedback from them,” he added.

Selangor Mentri Besar Azmin Ali said public opinion had been gathered and necessary measures had been taken in line with the feedback received.

“The development in Jalan Jelatek is not something that has just been proposed and we’ve had dialogue sessions several times,” he told reporters after attending the monthly morning meeting for state employees.

Commenting on the way the demonstration went, he said “any development in Selangor must not be mired in racial sentiments”.

“Although we have a quota system (in deve­lopmental projects), this must not be used as a sentiment that can prevent Selangor’s deve­lopment,” he said.

Azmin also questioned if the other demon­strators, apart from Salleh, were residents from the area.

Related story:

Race-based protests harm integration, says MCA

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Government , salleh

   

Next In Nation

Speak up over Ain Husniza issue or resign, Maszlee tells Radzi
Only non-contact sports like jogging, cycling allowed in Penang during MCO, says state govt
Thank you for your selfless love, Dr Wee wishes all mothers a Happy Mothers’ Day
Sungai Buloh overhead bridge restaurant temporarily closed for sanitation work, says PLUS
ICU occupancy in Johor's three MCO-enforced districts at 70%
Believe in your children, says Ain Husniza's mother
Businesses enjoy brisk Raya sales during MCO in JB, smaller crowds do last-minute shopping
Three HIDE-listed Sabah malls allowed to open on May 10 under strict SOP
Ismail Sabri: Failure to record personal details tops SOP violations
Pandalela stands up for Ain Husniza, warns teen to be alert against 'saboteurs'

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers