Line Clear cleared out by council


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 20 Jan 2015

Big void: Abdul Hamid showing the empty space where the tables and chairs used to be soon after the raid.

GEORGE TOWN: The Penang Municipal Council (MPPP) raided the island’s popular Line Clear nasi kandar outlet, which has been embroiled in an ownership tussle since last year.

Enforcement officers seized and carted away tables and chairs during the 4am operation yesterday.

However, outlet operator Abdul Hamid Seeni Pakir, 60, stayed defiant and continued the business with the remaining tables and chairs.

“The high-handed action of the council is uncalled for as we are still negotiating who should operate the restaurant. MPPP has no right to determine who runs it,” he said.

Abdul Hamid described the council’s action as “totally inconsiderate” and said no prior notice was given.

“Only a few workers were present and although one of them pleaded for time to contact me, the officers went ahead and loaded the tables and chairs onto a truck.”

About 40 enforcement officers from the MPPP Licensing and Public Health Department were involved in the operation off Penang Road.

In a statement issued later, the council said the restaurant was not allowed to continue its business as the current operators did not have a licence for this year.

Outlet reopened for business.

It said the name on the licence for this year was issued in accordance with a decision made last October.

MPPP Licensing and Public Health Committee chairman Ong Ah Teong had said that the restaurant’s licence was issued annually to four cousins of a family on a rotational basis for 12 years – three years for each cousin – beginning this year. The cycle was supposed to begin with T. Abdul Latiff, 53, followed by Sahubarah China Mohd Hanibah, 56, Pathumah Iskandar, 65 and Abdul Hamid.

According to the statement, Abdul Latiff was the rightful operator of the outlet for this year. It was also reported that MPPP would act to vacate the premises if Abdul Hamid failed to surrender it by Dec 31.

MPPP issued the ultimatum to the four partners of Line Clear after the family was embroiled in a dispute over the management of the eatery.

When asked to comment on the Oct 8 decision, Abdul Hamid said it was a conditional agreement and that the other parties had to fulfil certain terms.

He declined to elaborate, but said they were willing to go to court to settle the matter, adding that the council had no jurisdiction to compel them to agree to its proposal.

Akbar Ali Abdul Ghafoor, a relative of Abdul Hamid, lodged a police report over the council’s action.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

G25 expresses concern over govt’s ‘paranoia’ over Nur Sajat
Man under investigation over claims of being able to dine in unvaccinated
M’sian cops to launch extradition request to arrest Nur Sajat
One of three MACC officers probed for RM25mil theft case nabbed by police for drugs, firearm possession
Body of unidentified men found near MMEA Batu Pahat jetty
Govt will implement anti-party hopping law, but yet to decide if it should be a criminal offence, says law minister
Implement long overdue Sabah IC to help resolve undocumented migrant issue in the state, says Kitingan
Covid-19: Sabah's daily cases increase to 1,629 on Thursday (Sept 23)
Air Selangor: Unscheduled water supply disruption involving six areas in Shah Alam
Boy found drowned a day after falling off boat, second victim still missing

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers