PETALING JAYA: National shuttler Datuk Lee Chong Wei has confirmed that he will be suing former national badminton doubles player, Razif Sidek, and a Malay daily over allegations that he was involved in doping.
"The allegations are not true. Just because I have a doping case now, you can't simply say anything. Does he have any proof to justify his claims?" he told The Star Online Tuesday.
Lee, 32, served a letter of demand through his legal team Song and Partners to Razif and the daily last week.
Lee said Razif had called him to apologise for the remarks but he would continue with the legal action as the remarks had affected his credibility.
Razif had claimed in the report that Lee had been using banned substances for a long time and that Badminton Association Malaysia (BAM) officials were aware of it.
Last month, the Badminton World Federation (BWF) suspended Chong Wei from all tournaments after both his A and B samples were found positive for banned substance dexamethasone.
Chong Wei, who failed a dope test at the World Championships in Copenhagen on Aug 30, is banned until a hearing is carried out by BWF.
He faces a two-year ban.