PETALING JAYA: Dewan Rakyat Deputy Speaker Datuk Ronald Kiandee has condemned the attack on Canada’s parliament, saying that such incidents “should never have happened”.
He said the attack, which saw a gunman opening fire in the building, was reprehensible, especially since it took place in the august House during the presence of important state leaders.
“As for the Malaysian Parliament, we do not have any security problems so far. Even though our House is not as strict as other parliaments, our security is under control.
“However, there is nothing wrong if the Parliament administration wants to impose extra safety measures.
“I am sure that this will be supported by all parties,” he said when contacted yesterday.
Kiandee was commenting on the attack on Wednesday, during which a gunman opened fire near where Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper was speaking.
It was reported that the gunman was shot dead in the parliament building.
The man had also reportedly shot dead a soldier guarding the National War Memorial in central Ottawa before proceeding to the parliament.
On its Facebook page, the High Commission of Malaysia in Ottawa said Canadian police confirmed that two other persons were injured following the shooting incident but that the injuries were not life threatening.
The High Commission, in its post at 8am Malaysian time, said the Ottawa Police Service and Royal Canadian Mounted Police were continuing their joint investigations and advised Malaysians there to remain vigilant.