Nazri agrees with Penang proposal to bar foreign cooks in hawker stalls


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 02 Aug 2014

GEORGE TOWN: Tourism and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz has backed a proposal by Penang to bar foreigners as main cooks in hawker stalls.  

“We can’t have Penang hawker food cooked by foreigners who would not understand the taste.

“People come to Penang for its famous food. We can’t just bank on the branding, it would not be the same,” he said.

Nazri added that the locals should be proud of Penang food, and encouraged the younger generation of Malaysians to take up the cooking of such foods so that standards could be upheld.

Nazri also assured that the Federal Government would work with the Penang government to promote tourism in the state.  

“The Pearl of the Orient is the gem, the crown jewel of Malaysian tourism as far as I’m concerned,” said Nazri after unveiling two modern benches known as Figure #23 and Figure #25 with Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng at Armenian Street on Saturday.

The benches, made from twisted steel poles by Malaysian artist Azman Ismail, were sponsored by the National Visual Arts Gallery as part of the George Town Festival (GTF) 2014 project titled ‘The Chairs - Secret Gardens of Earthly Delights II’.

The project involves local and international artists who are tasked with creating quirky, unique and appropriate chairs as an artistic contribution to urban spaces.

Nazri said he and Lim discussed “big plans for Penang” after the launching of GTF 2014 on Friday, but declined to disclose them.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 0
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Nazri Aziz , Penang , Lim Guan Eng , hawker food

   

Next In Nation

Many things overlooked in post-mortem on cadet, pathologist tells court
Social Welfare Dept distributed RM2.4bil to over 500,000 aid recipients last year, says Nancy
Govt spent RM42bil on fuel subsidies, Parliament told
Sabah govt, Linaco Group sign deal to build RM200mil coconut processing plant
Sabah to get new Police Commissioner
Reason Semporna goldsmith went missing still unknown, says IGP
Najib to know outcome of SRC International leave to review application on March 31
Prisons are over capacity by almost 7,000 inmates, says Saifuddin
Education Ministry identifies six core subjects facing shortage of teachers
Melaka man claims trial for causing serious hurt to sister-in-law

Others Also Read