SEPANG: Malaysia has continued to press for a safe and unrestricted access to the MH17 crash site in eastern Ukraine, more than a week after the tragedy.
Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said on Friday that the crash site was still not safe and called on Ukraine to ensure the safety for investigators to carry out their work.
Liow was speaking to reporters after arriving at the KL International Airport from the capital city of the Netherlands after spending five days in Amsterdam and the Ukrainian capital of Kiev.
"We do not want (the evidence at) the site to be tampered with and we want full access to the site.
"I would like to thank the OSCE (Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe) for giving us the assistance and arranging a special path for our investigators to access the site.
"This is only the preliminary stage of the investigations and there will be more to come," Liow said.
It was revealed on Monday that Malaysia had been promised safe access to the crash site to allow a full investigation into the incident.
This was among three criteria in an agreement between Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and the Ukrainian separatist group.
The agreement also saw the release of 282 bodies retrieved from the crash site to Amsterdam and the plane's two black boxes handed over to Malaysia.
Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 - carrying 298 people - was en route to KLIA from Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport where it crashed in Ukraine near the Russian border on July 17.