Shoot on sight SOP needed, says PM


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 16 Jul 2014

PUTRAJAYA: Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak wants a clear Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) drawn up before security forces are given the authority to shoot on sight suspicious targets encroaching Sabah waters.

The Prime Minister said this was to ensure personnel on the ground had a clear understanding on situations that allowed them to exercise the power.

“We do not want any confusion and misinterpretation that could lead to untoward incidents affecting innocent lives,” he said here.

He, however, agreed that aggressive measures should be taken to tackle the security problems in the eastern coast of Sabah.

Najib said the security forces would draw up the SOP which would be approved by the Government before it was enforced.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said any order to shoot on sight must be looked into thoroughly first.

“This is because we know that there are also water traders and villagers in the area.

“So, we will look at a suitable SOP which we will then issue to the security forces on duty in the area,” he told reporters during a breaking-of-fast meal with Home Ministry staff at the police housing complex in Kuching yesterday.

The Royal Malaysian Navy had asked the Government to give the security forces the power to shoot on sight any suspicious targets encroaching Sabah waters.

Navy chief Admiral Tan Sri Abdul Aziz Jaafar said this was to prevent southern Philippine terrorists from entering the country.

He said terrorists did not fear the security forces as they knew the authorities would not shoot them.

Home Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said the Government had no problems with the shooting order if intruders entered the country.

There have been four high-profile cross-border kidnapping cases involving Taiwanese, Chinese, Philippine and Malaysian citizens since the Eastern Sabah Security Command was set up last year.

In the latest incident on Sunday night, marine police Kpl Rajah Jamuan was killed while Kons Zakia Aleip was abducted during a shootout on Mabul Island, off Semporna.

Related stories:

Two guards held over Mabul attack
Misuari hand in kidnappings, says Zahid
Skip Sabah's east coast, British tourists told
Gunmen may have been out to exact revenge
Marine cops determined to get justice for their mates
Attack another dent on tourism in Sabah, says MATTA
Academic: Get legal backing for shoot-first option

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Ismail Sabri sets new hallmarks in Malaysia's diplomacy, say analysts
MACC eyes 'VIP' director in LCS probe
More dengue cases recorded in Johor last week
Sabah remembers the fallen on Sandakan Memorial Day
Najib's final SRC appeal: Real danger concerning presiding judge's impartiality, says defence
Airasia to offer intercity food delivery from Penang to Klang Valley
Najib's final SRC appeal: Apex court allows defence bid to amend application to admit new evidence
King, Queen on state visit to Turkiye
Senior citizen burned during Kota Belud fire
Over RM100mil in seizures in raids by Customs Dept in first half of 2022

Others Also Read