Alleged NZ sexual assault victim: I’m angry and frustrated

  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 09 Jul 2014

PETALING JAYA: The woman who was allegedly sexually assaulted by a Malaysian diplomat aide in New Zealand wanted her name suppression lifted so that she could help address the problem of sexual violence in the country.   

Tania Billingsley, 21, said she was “not a bystander” and that she had a lot to say about the assault.  

"Because I'm hoping that in revealing who I am and having a face to put to this alleged victim that I'll be able to help address some of the issues around sexual violence in this country," she told New Zealand's Channel 3 News in an interview on Wednesday. 

Warrant officer 2 Muhammad Rizalman Ismail, a defence staff assistant with the Malaysian High Commission in New Zealand, is alleged to have sexually assaulted Billingsley at her home in Wellington.

He reportedly followed her back to her home in Brooklyn on the night of May 9 and is alleged to have assaulted her with the intent to rape. 

Billingsley said that she first became aware of Rizalman's diplomatic status on May 11, which also happened to be her birthday.

"So I spent the morning of it in the police station being told that he was a diplomat," she said. 

Rizalman, 38, returned to Malaysia on May 22 after the Malaysian High Commission reportedly turned down a request by New Zealand's Ministry of the Foreign Affairs and Trade to seek a waiver of his diplomatic immunity in order for him to face charges there.  

It was only on that day that Billingsley discovered that Rizalman was leaving the country.

"I found out that he was going to leave the day that he left. Up until then, the police had been really great at keeping me informed, but even they didn't know what to tell me.

"I got this call and it was like, 'Yeah, you know we just found out that he's leaving today.'

"Obviously I was frustrated and I was angry because I had from the very beginning said that I wanted him to stay in New Zealand and be held accountable here," Billingsley added.

The Dominion Post reported that Judge Bruce Davidson granted an application via - Channel 3 News - at the Wellington District Court for her name suppression to be lifted on Wednesday.

Rizalman is currently being warded at the Tuanku Mizan Military Hospital for medical evaluation.

On July 2, Malaysia decided to send him back to New Zealand to assist in investigations although the date of his departure has yet to be determined. 

The Defence Ministry has set up a Board of Enquiry to investigate the case.

Related story:

NZ sexual assault: Alleged victim ready to reveal her identity


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


Across The Star Online