No signs that flyover has been repaired despite collapse nearly two years ago


Abandoned: There are no signs that the structure has been fully repaired and will be re-opened to traffic, despite the collapse of the flyover near Selangor Science Park 2 in Cyberjaya happening nearly two years ago. — Photo by MOHD SAHAR MISNI

IT HAS been almost two years since the flyover near Selangor Science Park 2 in Cyberjaya collapsed, yet there are no signs that the structure has been fully repaired and will be re-opened to traffic.

The flyover serves as a direct link for motorists heading from Jalan Puchong and neighbourhoods such as Bandar Nusaputra and Bandar Bukit Puchong to head to Selangor Science Park 2 and Cyberjaya.

Traffic at the interchange has since been diverted, with motorists having to make a bigger loop via Lingkaran Putrajaya.

Motorists are forced to slow down because of the diversion, which results in a crawl during the morning and evening peak hours.

“Before it was closed, traffic was smooth as folks from Puchong could use the bridge and go directly to Cyberjaya via the Science Park,” said P. Puvendran, 33.

“After the closure and diversion were put in place, traffic has worsened during peak hours; the morning crawl is from 6.30am until 9am.

“Lorries and heavy vehicles plying the road also pose a danger, as the roads at the site are narrow and potholed,” he said.

“Since the flyover is closed, not only do motorists coming from Puchong have to deal with heavy traffic at the diversion site, it is also bad for those coming from the Elite Highway and KLIA heading to Cyberjaya and Putrajaya.

“This route is used by those who want to access the MEX Highway too,” said the Bandar Nusaputra resident who commutes to Cyberjaya.

Puvendran said he had lodged complaints with the Sepang Municipal Council (MPSepang) and the Selangor State Development Corporation (PKNS), which is the developer of the Science Park.

“I received a very general response that they are looking into the matter, but no concrete action is taken as far as I can see,” he said.

The collapse of the unused flyover on Feb 28 last year created a buzz among Malaysians on social media.

No one was injured in the incident and the structure was closed since December 2012 after the Malaysian Highway Authority (MHA) reported movements at one of the pillars supporting the flyover.

The issue of jurisdiction arose after the flyover collapsed.

It was built by PKNS and the project, which started in 2007 and completed two years later, was handed over to Projek Lebuhraya Utara Selatan (PLUS) Malaysia Bhd and MHA in March 2012. However, PLUS had refuted PKNS’ claims that it was responsible for maintaining the flyover, saying the road was never handed over to it.

MPSepang said the issue had to be referred to PKNS as it was under the latter’s jurisdiction.

PKNS public relations manager Ishak Hashim said PKNS was committed to rebuilding the flyover.

“Soil investigation needs to be completed first before the design of the new bridge and structural work can commence.

“Construction work is expected to start in April 2015 and it will take 12 months to complete,” he said.

Ishak said the Selangor government was also committed to resolving the issue, following Selangor Mentri Besar Azmin Ali’s visit to the flyover site on Nov 7.

After the collapse, MHA implemented a diversion at the interchange between the Putrajaya toll plaza and Cyberjaya and Putrajaya.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Others Also Read