Home > Archives
Wednesday April 25, 2012
Skill level: Easy
Time required: 1½ hours
Stuff you’ll need: Mixing bowl, whisk/mixing spoon, ziplock bags, cookie/bento cutters, food colouring, one cup boiling water, one cup flour, ½ cup salt, one tablespoon cream of tartar and one tablespoon vegetable oil.
1. Pour the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
2. Add the oil and carefully pour in the boiling water (help your child to do this if he is too young to handle it).
3. Whisk the mixture till it starts to clump like mashed potatoes. Keep the mixture away from your child for now, as it can be very hot. Leave it to cool for 10 to 15 minutes – you can use this time to clean up the mess you may have made.
4. Remove the slimy dough from the bowl once it is cool enough to be handled. Sprinkle some flour on your kitchen countertop or any flat surface you plan to knead the dough on. Place the dough on the flour and start kneading. Add more flour if necessary. You can stop when the dough no longer leaves a sticky residue on your fingers.
5. Separate the dough into small, fist-sized balls. Press a hole into the middle of a dough ball and add a tiny drop of food colouring. Take care not to add too much or it will spill out and stain your fingers! To control the amount, measure the liquid in a teaspoon first.
6. Fold the tinted part of the dough into the ball. Keep folding till the colour is spread out evenly. Using different colours, do the same for the other dough balls.
7. Once you have all the colours you need, put a play-apron on your child and let him have a go at squeezing and stretching the playdough into super-fun figures!
Bring in the dough
Boy locked in car but mum refuses to break window until given RM200
Missing AirAsia flight: Stay strong, Tony Fernandes urges
AirAsia Flight QZ8501 loses contact with air traffic
Unconfirmed reports of wreckage found near Belitung Island
Students make mad rush for airport
Missing AirAsia flight: FlightRadar reports last known location of missing plane
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)