Home > Archives
Published: Thursday December 6, 2012 MYT 8:28:00 AM
SYDNEY - Captain Pat Rafter will not consider bad boy Bernard Tomic for Australia's opening Davis Cup tie next year due to concerns over his on and off-court behaviour, a report said on Thursday.
Rafter took the decision two months before his side's opening match against Taiwan in February, the Sydney Morning Herald said.
Tomic, 20, has fallen foul of Tennis Australia several times over the past 18 months since reaching the quarter-finals of Wimbledon in 2011.
"Pat has made the decision early that for the first tie next year Bernard will not be selected," Craig Tiley, Tennis Australia's director of tennis, told the newspaper.
"As a team, we just felt that part of the commitment that we make to athletes and athletes make to the sport is they always put 100 percent commitment and effort in competing for their country."
Rafter had been particularly scathing of Tomic's performance in losing to Andy Roddick in the second round of this year's US Open, describing his final set capitulation as "disgraceful".
US tennis great John McEnroe said Tomic, currently ranked 52nd in the world, seemed to give up during his 6-3, 6-4, 6-0 loss to Roddick at Flushing Meadows.
Tomic also admitted that he had given only "85 percent" in his 6-4, 6-0 defeat to German Florian Mayer at the Shanghai Masters in October, saying the pressures of the tennis tour were taking their toll.
In the same month, he was questioned by police after a fight with a friend on Australia's Gold Coast.
Tomic was found guilty last month of failing to stop for police on the Gold Coast in his high-powered, bright orange sportscar and placed on a 12-month good behaviour bond.
"We just felt that this decision should provide additional motivation every time (Tomic) walks on the court, to be a total professional in his approach to not only his preparation but competing in the match and post-match," Tiley said.
"And it would be no different if he was the number one player in Australia or the number 100 player, or a junior." - AFP
Neighbours heard cries of children being beaten
RM1mil reward offer for information on Dr M's alleged misdeeds
Body of child found buried in kitchen
‘Wild’ party ends for 51 at popular mall
Money down the drain
Image on Google Street View may be that of missing boy
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)