X Close

Archives

Tuesday October 9, 2012

Traders going against DBKL by holding bazaar in Jalan Tun Sambanthan

THE Kuala Lumpur and Petaling Jaya Indian Petty Traders Association will go against Kuala Lumpur City Hall’s (DBKL) decision and put up their stalls for the Deepavali bazaar along Jalan Tun Sambanthan in Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur on Oct 14.

Yesterday was the last day to ballot for lots. The deadline had been extended due to the poor response to DBKL’s decision to move the bazaar to the DBKL Sports Complex in Brickfields.

At press time, only two people had registered for the lots as DBKL announced earlier that they would not allocate bulk lots to traders.

Unhappy lot: About 35 traders gathered at Menara DBKL 2 to show their displeasure against DBKL’s new balloting system
for the upcoming Deepavali bazaar. Unhappy lot: About 35 traders gathered at Menara DBKL 2 to show their displeasure against DBKL’s new balloting system for the upcoming Deepavali bazaar.

About 35 traders gathered at Menara DBKL 2 in Jalan Raja Laut yesterday to show their discontent about the new balloting system carried out for Deepavali bazaar lots in Kuala Lumpur.

Association president Jothy Appalasamy said they were willing to face the consequences.

“We will go ahead with our plans because they didn’t give us enough time for our members to go through this new process.

“A lot of the members have bought their stuff from India while some are waiting to collect them at Port Klang.

“This is our rice bowl, so as our final effort, we will take this matter to the Prime Minister’s Department by handing in our memorandum this Wednesday.

“It is an unfair move by City Hall as we were only informed on Sept 21, there was not enough time to sort this out.

“If they want to implement something, it can be done next year. All the traders including those in Masjid India and Jalan Ipoh will go ahead with their businesses too.

When asked about the issue of sub-letting of lots by the association, Jothy said the cases found during their spot checks were mostly out of their control.

“Sub-letting of lots is out of our control but we get blamed. If DBKL had told us about balloting a few months back, we could have made proper arrangement but right now, we will proceed as planned,” he said.

Kuala Lumpur mayor Datuk Ahmad Phesal Talib had earlier said that DBKL would not succumb to any pressure and would carry on with the bazaar even if there were only 10 people registered for the lots.

The new balloting method was introduced to ensure transparency and resolve allegations of middlemen raking in thousands of ringgit by sub-letting lots to third parties.

Shopowners in Brickfields had complained about the bazaar blocking their entrances while the blind community had faced inconveniences walking around the area as the lots were sitting on the tactile pavement.

advertisement

  1. Full military ceremony to accompany arrival of 20 Malaysians’ remains
  2. MH17: Special flight with victims' remains leaves Amsterdam
  3. MH17: Names of 20 Malaysian victims announced
  4. A minute’s silence on Friday morning
  5. A father’s enduring love
  6. Moving tribute from a loving wife
  7. Four-year-old boy dies after being left inside parked car
  8. ALS ice bucket challenge hits Malaysia
  9. Cops detain 15-year-old teenager for allegedly raping mother
  10. A black Friday for Malaysians

advertisement

advertisement