X Close


Published: Monday July 4, 2011 MYT 2:02:00 PM
Updated: Monday July 4, 2011 MYT 5:10:15 PM

Ahmad Sarbani would not commit suicide, wife tells inquest

KUALA LUMPUR: The wife of Selangor Customs assistant director Ahmad Sarbani Mohamed, Maziah Manap, told the court that her husband would "never" have committed suicide.

Testifying in the inquest into the death of her husband, who was found dead while in the custody of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC), Maziah, 50, told the court that he was a “very calm, patient and rational man”.

“I am convinced he would never do it (commit suicide),” she said.

She said that on the morning of the incident this April 6, he had told their daughter “petang ni abah balik (I will be back this evening)” as he set out for the MACC office on his motorcycle.

Maziah arriving at the court room Monday

“If he had said he's coming back, that shows he meant to come back.

“Why would he not want to come back if he said he's coming back?” she said.

She also said that when first told by a Customs officer that her husband had died, she was only informed that he had collapsed (rebah), and she did not know he had fallen from the third floor of the building.

When she went to the HUKM morgue to identify his body with her four daughters, she found his face full of blood stains.

“They told me he collapsed, but his face looked like it had been smashed into a wall,” she said.

Maziah also told the court that when a MACC officer known to her as “En Ghani” had met her after the incident to return her bank books, she had asked him what he would do in her shoes.

“I asked him, what would you do if you were me. Would you leave this to Allah, or would you take action?

“He said Umm.. umm', then he said Bukan saya, orang saya (It wasn't me, it was my men)'.

“Logically, that means he knows the truth,” she said.

Ahmad Sarbani, 56, who was attached to the Port Klang Customs office, was found dead at the badminton court on the first floor of the MACC building in Jalan Cochrane here on April 6.

He was reported to have gone to the commission's office to meet the investigation officer assigned to corruption cases involving 62 customs officers.

The inquest into his death kicked off today, with his wife being called as the first witness.

Assisting the court were deputy public prosecutors Mohamad Abazafree Mohd Abbas, Hanim Mohd Rashid, Azlina Rasdi and Nor Amalina Ismail, who were conducting the inquest.

Lawyers Awtar Singh and Hayati Udin held a watching brief for the family, while lawyers Salim Bashir, Roger Chan and Halim Sasghar, instead, are holding a watching brief for Bar Council.

More in The Star on Tuesday

Related Stories:
Ahmad Sarbaini's death: Inquest from July 4-15
A-G agrees to inquest into Sarbani's death
Ahmad Sarbani's death: Investigation in final stages
Ahmad Sarbani's last moments re-enacted
MACC duo failed to ensure Ahmad Sarbani's safety


Most Viewed