Home > Archives
REUTERS - Egypt's military rulers have appointed former transport minister Essam Sharaf to form a new government, the army said in a statement on Thursday.
Here are a few facts about Sharaf:
* Born in Egypt in 1952.
* He completed his bachelor's degree in civil engineering at Cairo University in 1975.
* He gained a masters in civil engineering at Purdue University, Indiana, in the United States in 1980 and a doctorate from the same university four years later.
* He joined Cairo University in 1985 as an assistant professor of highway and traffic engineering, where over the next two decades he researched maintenance management, pavement management, highway management, safety management and transport asset management.
* Sharaf served as minister of transport from July 13, 2004 until Dec. 31, 2005, at a time when former Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq was minister of civil aviation.
* Sharaf returned to academia in 2006 as a professor at Cairo University.
(Writing by David Cutler, London Editorial Reference Unit)
Neighbours heard cries of children being beaten
RM1mil reward offer for information on Dr M's alleged misdeeds
Body of child found buried in kitchen
‘Wild’ party ends for 51 at popular mall
Money down the drain
Image on Google Street View may be that of missing boy
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)