Home > Archives
Saturday January 29, 2011
LABIS: The Gemas-Johor Baru double-tracking and electrification project is expected to start this year, said Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha.
He added that the Government hoped to appoint the contractor for the project this year.
“Malaysia is still in the midst of talking with China Railway Construction, but nothing is confirmed yet,” he told reporters after visiting the train stations in Labis and Tenang Station yesterday.
Kong said two consultants had been appointed, a design consultant and a independent checker, to monitor the project.
The construction of the 197km of tracks, at an estimated cost between RM6bil and RM7bil, would take three years.
Kong also said two century-old Keretapi Tanah Melayu Berhad (KTMB) stations, one in Labis and one in Tenang, might be demolished to make way for the double-tracking railway project.
Kong said the Express Rakyat train would stop at the Labis station following a request by Labis MP Chua Tee Yong.
Neighbours heard cries of children being beaten
RM1mil reward offer for information on Dr M's alleged misdeeds
Body of child found buried in kitchen
‘Wild’ party ends for 51 at popular mall
Money down the drain
Man killed after car smashes into toll booth barrier
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)